xxxiii. house hunting

3.09

Two doors down from Atlas's current home, was a house for sale. The cardio surgeon loved it. The outside was white, with light orange wooden steps that lead to a porch the same colour. There's were windows everywhere, allowing the natural light to come in and brighten up the home. There were flowerpots scattered all around that made Atlas want to quit his job and become a gardener. And then there was a porch swing — Atlas loved porch swings, he didn't care what colour they were, if they would break ten minutes into relaxing, if they looked ugly or not, he just loved them. And on the front lawn, was a for sale sign.

Atlas could see it: the kids running around on the front lawn, well Atlas planted flowers and his husband put up a white picked fence around the lawn — Atlas also really wanted a white picket fence.

His daughter (or daughters) , he imagined would be kneeling beside him with a pair of pink gloves on so she could help plant roses without hurting herself. Atlas imagined she would sing to them as she watered them afterwards, Atlas would tell her that little fairies were hidden in the flowers and they would grow as the flower grew, and once they bloomed the fairies would be released into the world.

His son (or sons) would be helping build the picket fence of playing pass with a ball, maybe even soccer. And Atlas would jump up every once and awhile to chase his son around. Once he caught into his son he'd lift him up and hold him over his shoulder pretending he was a sack of potato's.

And by his feet would be Snacks and Lassie, the family dogs. They would be protective around the kids, always barking when someone they didn't know came close.

He could see himself, his husband, the kids and the dogs all scattered around the kitchen as they made pizzas for 'pizza party Friday' or tacos on 'taco Tuesday' or ice cream sundaes on Sunday. He could see it all, the kids throwing flour at each other when Atlas taught them how to bake cookies or cake — homemade of course. They would have their own aprons on with some cheesy line that he would have gotten costume made. The dogs would be going crazy since things would be dropped left and right.

Everyone would be cheering when someone successfully threw up some food and it landed right in their mouths. Even the dogs would jump excitedly.

In the basement would be supplies where Atlas and his kids would build forts with Eliza, the kids aunt. They would hang lights up and build it ten times bigger than Atlas and Eliza could ever. Lilla, being the greatest grandmother she would be, would make cookies and snacks and bring them down.

On Thursday nights they would all sit down and play a board game, including Atlas's siblings and mother. If it was monopoly then Atlas would sit out since he could get very competitive playing that game. He might end up with one of his children sitting in front of him and he helped them play — then help them win.

Atlas could see the kids sitting at the island in the kitchen doing homework well he and his husband made dinner. He had a feeling that every time he would turn around his kids would make a face and pout when they wouldn't get the answers correct, which meant that Atlas and his husband would end up helping them with their homework and complain about how different it was now compared to when they were in school.

Of course Atlas would still be a doctor, and maybe he would take less hours so his kids wouldn't felt left behind and felt just as special. Atlas would bring them into work when he could, letting them sit in the gallery's with scrubs that were way too big for them. (Atlas had a feeling he would end up getting his mom to make his children a pair of their own scrubs.)

Atlas would make sure that he always baked something for his kids bake sales. He would invite everyone over for his children's birthdays and holidays. He had a feeling his husband would spoil them just as much.

Along the walls of his home would be picture frame after picture frame — showing off his family and their smiles.

Atlas saw the nursery just across his and his husbands bedroom. Inside would be pretty light baby yellows and greens, alongs the walls would be drawings of some sort. A crib and other baby stuff would be placed in every nick and cranny.

In the doorway of each kids room would be markings of their height over the span of many years. Atlas wanted many children, as many as the man could adopt, and he figured that eventually he would run out of doorways.

He wanted this life with Derek Shepherd, he could see himself growing old with Derek, seeing himself sitting on the porch swing with Derek well his kids played in the front yard.

Little did he know, Derek Shepherd wanted the same thing. Derek wanted to build Atlas a home and spend the rest of their lives in it. With a big backyard that the kids could play in. Large lands were the dogs could run around. Everything was planned out in his mind.

"Sir?" A voice brought Atlas out of staring.

Atlas shook his head, thinking it would get ride of the images the flooded his mind. "Huh?"

The woman stood by his side now, she had a smiled on her face as she looked at the house. "I asked if you were interested? In this house."

Atlas blinked, was she really asking him that? "Uh, yeah."

"Do you see it too? The way your life plays out here?"

Atlas nodded at the woman's words. He did, he saw it all play out like a movie. "I do."

The woman dug through her purse and pulled out a small card, on it was her name, number, email, and information, including as to where she worked. She was a realtor.

"Give me a call, and then we can set something up? How's that?" She spoke so kindly Atlas was almost taken back.

"That's sounds great." He took one last look at the home before sending the woman a smile and walking off.