xiii. ❝i'm healing❞

xiii. ❝i'm healing❞
9.16

Owen Hunt was standing in a puddle of dirt. His fancy shoes were muddy now and his fingers gripped four plane tickets; for himself, April, Eliza and not so baby Brian. ( i honestly can't remember if i've said how old brian now is, but i'd say almost a year and a half now, maybe a little more. ) Owen was ready to bring them back, to bring them back where the three belong because he needed help running a hospital, he needs a new trauma surgeon, a new neonatal surgeon and another baby to put into daycare.

"Doctor Hunt?" April questioned as she lead a pig out of the barn on a leash, Brian cradled against her body in the harness she wore, her eyes widening when she saw the man standing a few feet away. "I, uh, what?"

"I'm here to bring you all home." He says the word home as if it is, but for the three of the ones who once lived in Seattle, it doesn't feel like that anymore. "Eliza now owns part of the hospital, as of yesterday, did you know?"

April nods, tied up red hair swishing as she does so. "She told me." She didn't just tell her, despite being told not to talk about what was happening, every new thing Eliza knew, she told April.

Owen Hunt had been reinstated as chief of surgery, and one of the things he wanted to do, was to bring the two surgeons he needed back. He had thought about it on the way back, how he could convince April to come back, and how he could have her convince Eliza to come back. "Did she tell you that you also now own the hospital?"

"Owen - GI Joe - Hunt." Eliza snapped, eyes closing as she pinched the bridge of her nose. This was when Owen really took Eliza in; her hair was longer and braided back with what looked to be leaves tangled in, her skin was tan and weathered from all the sun she got outside, her cheeks seemed to have a rosy tint, and she wore a long skirt with a tank top. She looked so different from the woman he had met all those years ago. "What are you doing here?"

"Mark Sloan died six months ago. (Maybe? In my universe, he did.) The plane crash was a year ago. The select few; Oliver, Meredith, Derek, Christina, Arizona and you two, now own the hospital, along with the fox foundation. Lexie and Venus's share were left alone, both a non-negotiable option." Owen took a step forward, watching as Eliza seemed to be on a short step away from April. "We need to hire, we need to work, we need you both otherwise all the work that everyone has done, will be wasted."

April turned towards Eliza, placing her hand gently over Brian's eyes so the run didn't bother him, although he was so used to it by now. "I have shares in the hospital?"

Owen shook his head, not even letting Eliza have a chance to offer. Because why would he? He wouldn't sugar coat anything, not when he was so close to losing the hospital again. "No. You own the hospital as well, April. Eliza said she wouldn't even consider using Mark's share of the money unless you had just as much say as the others."

It didn't make sense. April didn't understand why Eliza would do that, why she would have them accept her as someone who had as much say as her. She wasn't on the plane, she didn't lose anyone, other than friends and coworkers. She didn't witness the horror the others had. She didn't matter. "Why, Li?" (Ly = lie) April shook her head again and stepped away, moving to lead the pig back into the barn. She wouldn't even wait for an answer from Eliza.

"I can't keep ahold of your contract." Owen stated, showing sympathy in his eyes as he extended his arm, place tickets in hand. "We need you back, now more than ever."

"I'm healing here, Owen." Eliza moved towards the picnic table a few steps away, something that she had helped Aprils father build. "I don't cry myself to sleep anymore, I don't call his phone anymore with hopes that he'll answer, I don't beg whatever god listens for them to give him back and take me instead. I am at peace with his death now, and" — Eliza whirls her pointer finger to the red barn — "she helps, Brian helps, the animals help, the sun helps. Everything that I never had, helps. I am at peace, and I am still healing."

Owen sighs. He's glad he only told Christina that he was going, because he couldn't have dealt with Ayla's blaming him for his sister not coming back. "El, what can I do to convince you?"

"Eliza. And nothing, because this is my home now. The people inside that house, they're my family now too." She's right. Aprils mom and dad, two wonderful people who have helped her, babysat Brian, helped her grow and heal. The Kepner sisters, as annoying as they were, all helped in their own ways. And April, the one who held her when she cried, rocked her son back to sleep so she could continue to sleep herself, was her found family. "I can't, Owen, I'm sorry."

Owen nodded and stood, placing the three plane tickets into her hand and taking a step back. The plane leaves in four days from now, his being a different departure, because he knew they couldn't just leave this evening. "If you change your mind, Eliza. The hospital is waiting for you, your family is waiting for you, everyone is waiting for you to come home. April is guaranteed a position as a trauma surgeon, and a voice in council. It won't be the same, but I can't force you, but I can just tell you, he'd want you to be there."

"You have no idea what Mark would have wanted for me. He'd want me to be happy, and I am."