xvii. I didn't trust the universe

9.22

"Do you believe in magic?" Atlas asked as he leaned back in his chair, watching his therapist with interest as he waited for his answer. "Doctor. Rhee?"

Doctor Roman "Roe" Rhee did in-fact believe in magic. He believed in fate. He believed in soulmates. He believed in happily ever after. He believed in everything, until the world proved it otherwise. "I do, yes." Maybe it was because of his aunt, the woman who raised him. She always had a gift for the herbal remedies and figuring out the auroras of others. She raised him to believe because she believed in him.

"A woman came in, her body practically cut in half because her partner failed to do the magic trick properly." Atlas wished he was on the case, but his sister in law and April had been the ones to jump on the case, both having the patient in their specialty which gave them the go ahead when she entered the emergency room. "I wonder what it was like; feeling the atmosphere chance so quickly."

"You know what it's like, Atlas." Doctor. Rhee spoke softly as he placed his note book on the table beside him — it was his Atlas specific note book, only used in their sessions, which he also let Atlas read on days he felt he should or could. "The day of the plane crash your world shifted and you felt your husband so deeply that your atmosphere changed so quickly. When you had been shot, not once but twice, you had felt the world slow and change in a moments time. When you had been in the ferrie boat accident, you had felt everything change when you realized that not only did you need to push past everything and save others, but that it would effect everything."

There was so much more. So many life altering events that Atlas had been through. So many different things that some people only read, and some live through.

"But that's different, it all is." Atlas starts as he shifts in his chair to get into a much more comfortable position. "She trusted him, they had preformed this trick more than once. I never practiced getting shot, I never practiced being in a ferrie boat crash, I never practiced collapsing on the hallway floor and not waking up for days because my husband was lost in the woods. I didn't trust the universe."

Doctor. Rhee squiggled some things in the notebook he had picked up. "Do you trust it now? The universe I mean."

There was a long pause, minutes even before Atlas shrugged and avoided eye contact with Roman. Because how can he trust the universe now, when only a few months ago, he was begging for those who died to come back. "No."

A faint smile from Doctor. Rhee was shown, before he too shifted in his chair and placed the notebook on the table beside him. "I think we're done for the day, how does that sound?" 

Atlas stood, still letting a smile rest in his lips despite everything he had talked about in the last hour. Everything before the whole magic conversation too. "See you next week,  Doctor. Rhee."

╚═ ☆ ═╝

"You didn't trust us." Atlas stands outside of the lab his best friend is hidden away in. "Well you did, but we ruined that." There's silence from Bailey, and although she doesn't turn and look back at Atlas, she does stop moving. "We had been the ones to call the CDC, and although they had left me out of the decision, I am still apart of the board, which makes me guilty."

The woman doesn't move, silently and stilly listening to what Atlas has to say. Because she would listen to him, always. He was her person, and she was his. Like glue, they were practically platonic soulmates. Two people who formed such a strong friendship despite anything and everything.

"I love you Bails, and if you need someone to yell at, than yell at me, because I am guilty." Atlas doesn't know what else to say, he won't force her to talk, and he won't force her to open the door and let her in. "You know where to find me, or our secret page."

which isn't so secret anymore ! — 1-2-3

As Atlas walks away, he hears a small click of a lock and a noise from a door handle. Slowly looking over his shoulder stands Miranda Bailey, beaconing him into the room. He turned, quickly moving his feet so he can stand inside the chilled lab.

"Oof!" Atlas lets out as Bailey wraps her arms around his body, hugging him so tightly that he wonders if his ribs are breaking. They aren't, but he can't help but guess. "Bails, i love you."

"I love you too."

authors note ══════ ☆
my writers block is back and i can't write! :{