oxi. winner winner chicken dinner

9.11

Atlas Lee-Sunny Shepherd is well, rich. His husband, Derek, who had been on the plane, just won fifteen million dollars. Yes, real money deposited into his husband account within a matter of weeks — those things take time, that's for sure. Or maybe he'd get a check, something Atlas would have his husband put on the fridge like Izzie Stevens had during his brothers residency.

"Atlas." Oliver taps his brother on the shoulder, practically shoving his phone into his brothers face when he's out of his daydream. "It's El."

"We won?" Atlas can practically feel a sense of relief flood her body. He can hear the difference in her tone. She has won Mark Sloans share, where it will be put into a trust fund for baby Brian. "We did it?"

Atlas doesn't know how to respond. He is Eliza's proxy, whom is technically Mark Sloans proxy, whom is dead. Mark is dead. His favourite cardio nurse, nurse in general, Venus is dead. Lexie Grey, the girl who become a younger sister to him, is dead.

Christina Yang was right. Seattle Grace Mercy West has turned into Seattle Grace Mercy Death.

"Atlas, baby?" Derek watches as his husband zones out again. He takes the phone from his hands, gently pressing it to the side of his face and flashes a smile he knows Eliza can't see. "We won. Fifteen million each."

Callie, who is the proxy for her wife ( when she can't be there, but today the woman felt like she could ), rushes into the court room, her hair falling all over the place as she clutches her purse to her chest. "What happened. We lost, didn't we? I'm so sorry my surgery ran late."

Meredith looks up from where her fingers are interlocked with Olivers. She loves him, so much, even with all his scars, she doesn't want to let go. She's scared if she does, he'll never come back. "Callie, we won."

Callie lets a smile slide across her face, one that catches the eye of Atlas and makes him grimace. She's looking between everyone, watching their expressions. "What's the amount? I mean it doesn't matter. Oh we should celebrate? Dinner tonight."

"Fifteen million, Callie, each." Derek lets the words roll of his tongue. He tugs his husbands hand closer to his chest, as if it'll help ground them both. Help them realize this isn't a dream. "And we don't need to do dinner, Cal."

"We do, this is a big moment. I'll make a reservation." Callie turns, pulling her phone out of her pocket, and Atlas is fuming.

He stands, pulling his hand away from Derek's and frowns. "The court just told us the hospital we work at was the reason for the plane crash. They're taking money from the hospital we work at; fifteen million for Arizona, fifteen for Eliza, fifteen for Christina, fifteen for Meredith, fifteen for Oliver, fifteen for Derek, fifteen for Lexie, fifteen for Venus. That's a hundred and twenty million dollars that will shut our hospital down. You still wanna celebrate, Callie?"

╚═ ☆ ═╝

"Oh, look at my grandbabies!" Lilla Lee grins as she kneels down and lets Starlee barrel into her, almost knocking her over in the process. Cameron moves forward as well, much slower than his sister, but he moves into his grandmothers arms as well. "How are you two, oh! Are we gonna have ice cream for dinner tonight?"

Both kids shout happy exclamations as they look towards Atlas, who nods with a small smile. Since the place crash, he hasn't seen his two children this happy. He feels guilty for it.

"We'll have so much fun." Lilla lets the two children run off and towards the living room where she already has a bundle of new toys waiting to be played with.

Atlas looks towards his mother, who's growing older each day, but still so full of light and happiness. "Thank you again mom, Derek said I couldn't miss it."

"My baby boy." Lilla brings her son into her arms, or more so stepping forward and wrapping her arms around him. "You have been through so much. A dinner will be okay. And if it isn't, send me a message and I'll get you out, no questions asked."

In moments like this, he appreciates his mother more than anything. She's babysitting, she's taking care of him, making him meals so he doesn't have too. She's his life savour today.

"Thank you, mom." He turns to leave, knowing that Derek is waiting for him in the car. "I love you."

Derek was indeed waiting. They're late for the dinner when they arrive, but everyone is happy they show up. When Atlas and Derek sit down, a waiter brings a bottle of champagne to the table for the big group of people.

She pours the glasses and when she stands behind Meredith, about to pour the drink for her, Meredith moves her glass away. "Thank you, but I'm okay."

Callie isn't letting that slide. "No, no, she'll have some."

"No, really, I'm okay." Meredith insists, flashing a smile Atlas knows what it's about. Heck, Oliver told him when they found out.

Callie gives her a look. "She will have some."

"I can't, because I'm pregnant." Meredith lets out a small laugh, one that makes Christina laugh too.

Atlas gives his congratulations before he pulls his phone from his pocket, sending Eliza a message about how he misses her and how she needs to talk to her twin brother about a certain baby.

"Congratulations, to you as well." Meredith glances towards Atlas and Derek, the mood much more light and happy, compared to what it was only a mere half an hour ago. "Heard that you've been asked to foster in a few weeks."

Atlas whips his head towards his husband, who has a cheeky look on his face. "Surprise, love!"

authors note !
we're so close to 500k. If we can reach 500k soon, I'll do a special where atlas is a single pringle and has a pairing with owen ? also updates should be more frequent :)