lxii. mama shepherd

lxii. mama shepherd
5.12

Atlas was great with parents.

Maybe it was because he was a doctor and had to deal with them throughout his surgical career.

Or maybe it was because of his siblings, and the way he grew up with his parents around all the time.

It was possible he was great with them because of Star. He was now technically a father by adopting.

Sadly, not even being great with parents was going to stop Atlas's increasing anxiety now. Derek's mother was coming down to Seattle and Atlas was scared shittles. He was marrying her son, what if she didn't like him — that particular thought was freaking Atlas out.

"What if she doesn't like me?" Atlas asked for the second or third time, he was pacing his and Derek's kitchen with a bowl of homemade cupcake mix... he was stress baking.

Derek stepped forward with the cupcake pan in hand. "She will love you."

"You've told her about me right?" Atlas stopped his pacing and stared at Derek.

Well this was a tricky question. Derek had told his mother all about Atlas, just not that they were together. That might become a problem because Derek was going to marry Atlas.

"You didn't tell her." Atlas sighed. He didn't blame Derek though — when he told his own parents that he was gay they were just so happy that he felt he could tell them, they didn't love him any different. But he knew that his parents weren't like everyone else, some didn't accept the fact that their child was gay or different.

"She knows who you are, Atly." Derek smiled weakly as he sat down on one of the dinning table chairs.

Atlas shook his head and forced a smile, "Baby, it's okay. I love you, even if you don't tell her about us."

Derek watched sadly as Atlas continued on with his baking, the conversation seemed to be over. He didn't want it to be over though, Derek felt as if they were both holding in something they wanted to say.

"Atly?" Derek whispered.

Atlas looked over his shoulder at Derek, he paused his baking. Atlas placed the bowl down on the counter before he stepped closer to Derek and kneeled down on the floor in front of him. He placed his hand on both sides of Derek's face, "I love you. Nothing will change that, okay? Nothing at all. And if you aren't ready to tell your mom, your family then that is okay. I'll support you either way."

Atlas wiped the tear on Derek's cheek with the pad of his thumb. He stood up and placed a kiss to Derek's lips. "Now, even if I'm not being introduced as your fiancé, I'm still nervous so I'm going to continue to bake."

Derek chuckled, watching as Atlas got back into the grove of baking. He stood up and went to leave the kitchen, just before he left the room his eyes caught sight of the bright blue paper. His and Atlas dream home.