cxii. meet breakfast and lunch

8.22

"You did something, what?" Derek asked the second he stepped into the kitchen and saw his husband baking. Atlas often bakes when he's stressed, it when there's something wrong, or if something is really good. "Or is it for when the twins and everyone else get back from their boards."

"Dadda! Look!" Starlee cane wobbling into the kitchen with three dogs trailing behind her.

Derek blinked. Eyeing Snacks who was happily wagging their tail well looking between the other two dogs, he could tell the dog was excited.

"Who's dogs?" Derek asked, smiling. He figured that his husband had offered to dog sit. Oh how he was wrong. When Atlas continued to bake, Derek tilted his head to the side and looked at his husband. "Atlas?"

"Ours." Atlas finally spoke, looking up from the batter he had been mixing. He had a nervous look on his face.

"Ours?!" Derek spoke a little louder, whirling around to see the dogs with collars around their necks and tags that dangled from them. They had names and most likely Atlas's phone number on them, but Derek wasn't sure, he couldn't see them clearly. "Ours?!"

Atlas placed his bowl on the counter with a thud. Maybe he should have ran this but Derek first. He stopped moving, watching as the dogs ran out of the room when Cameron had squeezed one of the toys, causing it ti sqeak. "You should have seen the kids, Der. We brought the center toys, and we wanted to spend time with the dogs. And - and they were the only ones who wouldn't get adopted. Their siblings too, I couldn't separate them either."

"You got two dogs?!" Derek couldn't wrap his head around the fact that his husband had gone and adopted two dogs well he worked. Well he saved someone's life. "Two?!"

"I'm sorry!" Atlas panicked, bumping the bowl of batter and it falling to the floor. "I'm sorry, Der. I really am. But the kids, they loved the two. And the dogs love the kids. I - and the lady looked to heartbroken. I had too."

Derek sighed; he had always thought that Atlas would run things by him before he did something big. But it has crossed his mind that Atlas would do something out of the ordinary — but if we're being honest, it was very normal for Atlas to do something like this. To get another dog.  Derek just didn't expect for it to happen right now, and for there to be two dogs.

"Why didn't you call me." Derek frowned. "You could have called me and we could have talked about it."

"I'm sorry, love, so so sorry." Atlas told him. "I just saw them and then I couldn't not bring them home. They needed a home, Der."