xiv. atlas has a bright idea

9.17

Atlas stands and leaves the conference room when everyone else does. Although he does not own the hospital like his husband does, everyone said he could join the meetings. He didn't mind, he actually enjoyed being in the conference room as everyone else was. It made him feel important, even though he didn't need to be there.

"Jackson." Atlas stops in the hallway, waving a see you later to his husband who continues to walk away. Jackson stops and stands beside Atlas, carrying a bundle of papers and a box of donuts. "Walk with me?"

Jackson nods and falls into the same steps as Atlas takes. He shifts the things in his arms before he turns his head slightly. "What can I do for you? Or are you going to talk me out of everything the fox foundation wants? Or yell at me for what I said; how we shouldn't have been sued to bankruptcy."

Atlas takes a minute as they walk, letting the two continue on in silence. When they round the hallway corner into the cardio wing, where there's a wing of construction, Atlas lets a lightbulb go off above his head. "I have an idea actually — and I won't yell, but you definitely shouldn't have said what you said."

Jackson sighs, but nods anyways. He understands what he said was wrong, and he only said it in the heat of the moment because he felt alone, like no one trusted that he could do this. He was starting to feel like he couldn't do it either. "What's your idea?"

Atlas stops in front of the entire wing under construction; there had been major overdue changes that needed to happen and it would make more room for more patients if they didn't have so many empty conference rooms and storage rooms. "I have money saved up, money that my father left me when he passed away." When Brian passed away due to a fatal gunshot wound many years ago, Atlas was broken. His father's death and the feeling of not being able to do anything broke something inside of him. He's been keeping ahold of the money as a tie to his father, but after a long talk with his therapist ( who we'll meet later! ) he felt like he needed to let it go to finally put his father to rest.

"Derek didn't try to convince you to use it in buying the hospital?" Jackson's voice wasn't harsh, or one that implied anything, it was just Jackson's Avery's genuine question.

Atlas shook his head and gestured towards the construction. "He said to save it for a rainy day, this is a rainy day, Avery."

Jackson chuckled. "We have money for construction, Atlas, if you wanted it to go faster you could say and I could hire a few more workers."

Atlas once again shook his head, that was not what he wanted. "No, no. I want to make it into a clinic. The Venus Bardot memorial cardiology clinic. We'd do probono operations, free consultations, free treatments, anything regarding the heart and lungs and well, everything that Venus wanted. She wanted to give many people another chance at life, this we can do. We can help her dream, Avery."