xix. keys

xix. keys
2.10

Cristina is brushing her teeth at Burke's apartment when she leaves the bathroom and starts exploring the apartment — still brushing her teeth.

"Where'd you find him?" Christina asks, referring to the guy Atlas had met late last night.

"Joe's." Atlas's voiced cracked through the cell phone line.

"But you didn't bring him home?" The Korean woman said, her words sounding mushed together since she was still brushing her teeth.

"Nope."

"What a shame. Hmm. Guess where I am?"

"Where?" Atlas thinks it's Meredith's, but Christina wouldn't have said 'guess' if that was the case.

"Burke's apartment. He went to the hospital." Christina makes it to the kitchen and spits the toothpaste foam into the sink, "He left me here alone."

"Christina Yang, are you doing what I taught you and going through his stuff?" Atlas laughs on the other side of the phone call, his hand grasping the small cell phone as he sits in his rocking chair, watching as something moved in his bed.

"Psh, what, no."

"Yang."

"Oh fine! There's no stuff to go through. It's a freak show. I mean you could do surgery in here."

"Maybe he holds illegal surgery there then." The man suggested,

"Why would you say that?!" Christina shouts in the phone, causing Atlas to move it away from his ear.

Cristina walks into his adjoined dining/living room which indeed is neat and squeaky clean. Everything has a spot and there seems to be a lack of personal mementoes. Cristina notices his bookshelf and walks up close in pure horror, "Oh! He arranged his books using the Dewey decimal system. Atlas, I'm scared."

"C, Get out. Get out of the house now. Just leave."

A soft bark catches the twos attention, Atlas having heard it and Christina hearing it through her phone.

"What was that?" She asks.

"N-nothing."

"Liar. Now I'll ask again, what was that."

"Nothing, Yang." Atlas didn't want to tell her that he had adopted a dog as a way to distract himself from his love for Derek.

Cristina shrugs and finishes getting ready and moves into the kitchen looking for food in the fridge, her phone tucked between her chin and shoulder. She decides against having anything and closes the door.

The intern notices a coffee maker and moves to grab the pot and a mug next to it. She picks up the mug and it jingles.

"What just jingled?" Atlas asks.

Christina muttered a 'don't know' as she reaches in and pulls out a key.

"He keyed me!"