xxxvi. flowers

xxxvi. flowers
3.12

Derek thrust a bundle of flowers into Atlas's arms. Atlas was standing — leaning — against the cardio ward nurses station.

"Good morning to you too?" Atlas asked with a furrowed brow. He had gotten up and left Derek alone in bed after the man had complained about not getting a good night sleep — so, Atlas being the better person got up early and went in for an early surgery since he was now cleared.

"They're flowers." Derek pointed to the bouquet of flowers.

"I see that... why flowers?" Atlas was beyond confused, he really wasn't sure why a bouquet of flowers had been thrust into his hands.

"Isn't that what people do when they like each other?" Atlas would have cried right then and there, Derek looked like a little new born puppy with his wide loving eyes.

Atlas wanted to know, he did, oh how much he wanted to know if he ever gave Addison flowers in the beginning of their relationship. Atlas shushed his mind, he was just over thinking the situation and he did not want to be.

Atlas opened his mouth to ask, he was ready to ask if Addison ever got this kind of treatment. But his mouth snapped shut when the thought of sounding offensive and rude popped up.

"Thank you." Atlas looked to Derek kindly.

"Your welcome." Derek gave a nod before walking off.

Atlas was very confused about the interaction that just happened.

╚═ ☆ ═╝

Bailey is sitting at a table with George's family, Atlas standing in the doorway.

Bailey took a deep breath and looked at the O'Malley family. "Ok I called the family in because I need to do a procedure on your father to help him breathe."

Ronny one of the brothers looked towards the resident, "So you're saying he can't breathe?"

"With the extensive surgery, your father is not breathing on his own. Which is why we still have him intubated." Bailey answered calmly.

Jerry, another one of George's brothers looked at the resident, "Intubated?"

"The tube in dad's mouth it's breathing for him." George spoke.

"And right now that tube has a kink in it, which is straining his breathing." Bailey explained to the family.

"How did it get a kink in it?" Louise, George's mother asked confused.

George sighed, "It just happens, we don't always know why."

"But he's doing good today. I mean, he made plenty of pee so..." Ronny trailed off.

"Still, we need to replace the tube." Bailey insisted.

"So, why don't you just do it? I mean what are we waiting for?" Ronny looked between George and Bailey, confusion lacing his words.

Bailey exhaled, "Ok, with the damage to your father's esophagus and the swelling in his throat from being intubated all this time..."