ooo. prologue

ooo. prologue
pre season nine / post season eight

The monitors beep steadily. There's no long annoying beeps to be heard. It's perfect.

Richard Webber sits in the chair beside the hospital bed, he shifts and yawns. He turns and watches the monitor, as if he's waiting for something bad to happen. Nothing does, and it stays beeping steadily.

"We got a call. They've found them." Richards voice is quiet. He waits a minute or two to see if Atlas would open his eyes or not. His eyes lids don't open, and he doesn't even twitch. "Atlas, we've found them."

Atlas still lays there. His body unmoving. It's almost like his in a coma; one that none of the doctors couldn't understand or find a reason behind it. Miranda Bailey had a theory; she believed that it was because Atlas knew somehow that Derek was injured and in trouble.

Maybe she was right. Who knows for sure?

"Atlas, please, you gotta show me something." Richard pleaded. He rested his head in his hands, like he was praying to the person he believed in. As he did this, he couldn't help but wonder if maybe he himself could have done something to prevent this. "Sunny, there isn't much we can do anymore. We've run all the tests."

"Is he doing any better?" Eliza asks as she steps into the hospital room. Her son, Brian, is pressed against her chest as she wears a wrap that helps hold him. Behind her is Cameron and Starlee, who've been staying with her. "Kiddos, go say hi before we go home."

Starlee was the first to race towards the bed. She struggled to climb up, but Richard had lifted her and placed her on the bed to help. Cameron had walked slowly, climbing up - by himself - and sitting by Atlas's feet.

"Daddy, wake up! I want you to read me a story." Starlee had managed to speak her words well. She frowned as she watched her dad who didn't move. "Daddy please."

Eliza frowned as she stepped closer to her older brother. She needed him. She needed him now, and it wasn't time for this anymore. She glanced towards Richard, who smiled and stood. He waved the two kids forward, helping Starlee of the bed. He lead them to the hallway before he shut the door to give Eliza some privacy.

"You need to wake up, big brother." Eliza's voice was quiet. She felt rage, hatred, sadness, emotions. "Atlas, wake up."

Atlas didn't move. She wondered if he's doing this on purpose, if this is some trick. His chest moved steadily, but he didn't show any signs of showing up.

"Atlas! Wake the fuck up!" She slammed her open palms against the side of the bed. She was crying now, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Please... I need you. The kids need you. Moms gonna need you. Everyone needs you."

She was right. Everyone was gonna need him.

╚═ ☆ ═╝

Atlas blinks awake. His eyes hurt, his body aches, yet, in a way, he feels so well rested.

"Hello?" His voice cracks as he speaks. He looks around and the room is empty. He's in a hospital room; it's fairly empty and by that he means that there's no one sitting by his side.

Derek. Where is Derek? And his kids? Why is he here.

He pressed the button behind his head. It alerts the nurse that somethings wrong - or that he's awake and can actually press the button.

"Lee-Sunny, you're awake." The nurse states, he recognizes her as the woman who had been by Teddy when he fell.

"My siblings? My family? Where is everyone?" Atlas asks, he sits up and looks towards the flowers and the balloons against the wall by the window. "What happened?"

"Everyone is on their way." Not everyone. "And you had some chest pains and then collapsed. It's been four days, and you've been sleeping peacefully."

"Oh."

"Atlas!" Eliza rushed through the door. She's in her scrubs - her new scrubs. She's wide eyed as she's crying once again. Her brother is awake. "You're awake!"