lxxvii. honeymoon

lxxvii. honeymoon
with some spice before!
— ♾️ —

a few months ago,
before the wedding

"Hey," Atlas whispered as he placed his head on Derek's chest. They had gotten into a small argument a few hours ago and only now were they in the same room together. "I'm sorry, baby."

Atlas was indeed sorry. They were fighting over a stupid little thing. Well it wasn't that stupid.

Derek wanted to become chief of surgery one day, he wanted to become the person who was in charge. Atlas wanted a bigger family, and with a bigger family meant more time he and Derek would have to be away from work.

The cards weren't in their favours it seemed.

"It's okay." Derek breathed out as he sat up and leaned against the headboard of their bed, pillows behind him. "We have different plans, and we just need to figure it all out."

Atlas nodded as he sat up too, pulling Derek feet into his lap, resting his hands on them. "We have time. Starlee turns one soon, and maybe she'd like a sibling..."

"Atlas," Derek sighed. Derek wanted more kids, he wanted this huge family he had dreamed about. He wanted that with Atlas, but he also really wanted to be chief one day. "We've talked about this.

Atlas nodded and leaned back, keeping Derek's feet on his lap."I know. I know. I just want... more."

Derek leaned forward, pulling his feet away from Atlas and kneeling on the bed. "Yeah? More?"

Atlas breathed out lightly as he nodded. "More."

So Derek did more. He moved forward, placing his legs on each side of Atlas's legs. As Derek straddled him, leaving his hands on Atlas's chest, he smiled. "What are our plans for the honeymoon?"

"Really. That's what you ask when you're straddling me?"

Derek hummed. "Yeah. Maybe some of this?" Derek asked as he leaned down and placed a kiss to his fiancés jaw. "Or this?" He kissed Atlas's cheek. "And this?" Derek kissed Atlas right on the lips.

"All of that."

╚═ ☆ ═╝

Derek and Atlas stood side by side as the watched the sun way ahead set. The water sparkled and shimmered as the moonlight that was just appearing casted over. There was silence as they stood, nothing but the soft sound of breathing was able to be heard.

Or that was until Atlas started to talk, "I love you."

Derek opened his eyes so he could look at his husband. He held a lopsided smile as he tilted his head. "I love you more, husband."

To themselves, they would never get used to calling each other husband or hubby. Neither could they believe that they had made it this far in their lives.

Atlas had unlocked a part of Derek that would have stayed hidden. Derek would have probably gone back to his wife — tried to fix the problems they had — or maybe he would have found someone else to give all his love to. Maybe he would have still been the man he was today, only a tad but lonelier, and his heart probably wouldn't be as full with love and happiness as it was before.

( If this love story between Atlas and Derek didn't happen, then Derek would have picked Meredith Grey up from the bar. Only in this story, he had been picked up by Atlas. )

Derek had opened up some new part of Atlas too. Atlas would have definitely closed himself off more — naturally he's a outgoing person, one with lots of love and bright things — but sometimes things change.

"Baby?" Derek muttered as he leaned further against the railing keeping him from falling over the edge.

Atlas hummed, "Yes, love?"

"You ready for dinner?"

It was late, neither of the newlyweds had eaten dinner yet. Instead they had been lounging in the sun all day and exploring the small town they had found. They were having fun, and that's all that seemed to matter.

"I am." Atlas confirmed, and at those words the two walked away from the edge and towards one of the benches close by, right where there was a picnic basket full of food waiting.

Derek grinned, his hands holding onto a container full of cake. "Cake first? Or..."

"There's only cake, isn't there."  Atlas raised his eyebrows as he looked to his husband.

With a sheepish smile, Derek nodded. "Yeah..."

Atlas laughed. "Cake it is."

Later on that night, Derek and Atlas had been cuddled up in bed, a simple white sheet wrapped around themselves. Like they said, they had done exactly what they planned to do.

══════════ ☆
here's a short one. i'm thinking
of having a schedule for this fic, any specific days you readers would like?
the next chapter should be up soon, i still have more to write but yeah! here you go .