xvcii. funding, weddings and a baby

7.19 + 7.20

one week later
( since the car accident )

"You can help, Atlas!" Alex Karev stepped forward, his hands holding into scans that he had stolen from Arizona.

"I can't help, Karev. I get it, I do, but I can't just fly to Africa." Atlas stopped walking and turned towards Alex, his hands on his hips.

Alex nodded, "But you can bring them here. You - you're practically famous in the surgeon community, they'd bow down if they asked you." I mean, on some levels, Alex was right. "You know I'm right."

"Karev, I have a patient. A man with a hole in his heart. Now, if you'd like to scrub in, than maybe we can talk more." Atlas started to walk away, Alex Karev following behind like a little puppy. "Eliza asked when you'd go and see her."

Eliza's awake now, on bed rest. She'll be discharged from the hospital soon, the doctors ( more so Mark ) having requested that she stays a little longer. Alex has been avoiding her, he believes that if he saw her, he'd feel bad because he suggested to Callie and Eliza that they should go on a b&b babymoon.

"Soon." Alex nodded, lying through his teeth. "I'll go soon."

"You go see her today, I'll go and talk to Arizona about the African kids." Atlas gave Alex the option, and Alex didn't say anything but speed off towards the room where Eliza was. Atlas followed behind for a minute, just to see Alex step into Eliza's room. Atlas signed happily. "I feel like a proud mom."

five weeks later
( since the car accident )

Atlas was sitting in a conference room, Alex sitting across from him. "I have eight patients lined up. From three African countries. All through the namboze clinic." Alex started to inform Atlas of what he had started planning. "There's ah, uh, cardiac defect, brain tumour, idiopathic gangrene case — when do we ever get to see that, right?"

Atlas smiled at Alex. "Not very often."

"Oh! And Hunt got me in touch with a military guy about ground transport. He also offered to operate pro-bono. So that means I have you, Robbins, Hunt, Bailey, Sloan, Shepherd, the residents." Alex rambled on, skimming through the papers in front of him.

"And how are you gonna pay for it all?" Atlas leaned back in his chair.

"Well, either from the chief of peds surgery — which would mean I would have to go talk to him, or you could — or you." Alex stopped skimming through papers as he brought all his attention towards Atlas.