xci. finding ourselves

7.10

"You brought handcuffs?!" Christina shrieked as she looked up with wide eyes.

She's been out of the hospital for a little while, and the people around her are worried that she's losing her mojo. Her thrive for cutting open people and fixing hearts. They treat her like glass someday.

"Of course," Atlas beamed as he dangled the handcuffs from his pointer finger. "Gotta stay together."

It was a joke, Christina realized as Atlas laughed and dropped the handcuffs he had into the back seat. Christina placed a hand to her chest, "Gosh, I really thought you were gonna handcuff me to the boat."

The boat. Atlas and Christina were going fishing. Owen has suggested that Atlas do something with Christina since he knew that Atlas has a special place in his life for Christina. And Atlas had the day off, some new fishing stuff, and a small boat already rented out — so, he asked Christina if she wanted to tag along and to his surprise she said yes.

Atlas knows that this is going to be different than normal. He knows that Christina would have done her homework last night because she's an overachiever and didn't want to disappoint. He also knows that Christina will bring up the fact that Owen wants her to work, and that things between the two are still kinda weird.

But they both have time, and right now that's all they need. Atlas needs time to thing about what he said the other night to his husband well he was drunk, and Christina needs time to heal after the shooting.

Everyone is still healing after the shooting. Atlas's notices that his brother, Oliver, shakes and flinched as loud noises that sound like gunshots. He sees the way Eliza goes frozen at any mention, and how her eyes gloss over when she thinks about the day. His husband still wakes up in the middle of the night clutching his chest, it's not every night but Atlas still wakes up beside him.

"Let's get fishing." Atlas smiled as he lead Christina towards the boat with an arm wrapped around her shoulder. "Do you know how to fish, C?"

"I read about it online." Christina beamed. "I know this... is a spinner bait!"

"It is, good job." Atlas spoke as he helped Christina onto the wobbly boat.

╚═ ☆ ═╝

It was quiet. There was the sound of birds chirping and the sound of the line hitting the water with every cast. Atlas could hear all of his thoughts, and Christina could hear her own heart beating in her chest. It was calming, the quiet around them was calming.

Atlas was lounging across the boat, a fishing rod in hand as he attempted to catch something. He hasn't had much luck and the fish he had caught was only as big as his hand, so he let it go. He even used some of his very special fish bait but it didn't work, and he's starting to think that maybe he's inpatient or the fish don't like him today.

Christina on the other hand was sitting there with a bored look plastered on her face. Even though she's beyond calm and hasn't thought about much other than fishing. She's bored, but the quiet is letting her hear all her thoughts. She hears her heart beat faster at the thought of surgery — whether it's a good few thumps or a nervous few thumps change with each thought.

Then it's not quiet anymore. There's a tug on Christina's fishing rod, and her hands involuntary move forward at the action. "Oh, my god! Oh my god! I think I have a bite." The woman exclaims as she tries to fiddle with the fishing rod. The internet never told her what to do here, if she actually caught a fish. "Oh my god! What do i do?!"

Atlas was already up and standing behind her, hands read to help if she needed it. He knew deep down she wouldn't, and that she could do it herself. "Stay calm. Stay calm, just sit down."

Christina sits but she's still bursting with excitement. She's happy. She's smiling. She's healing.

Atlas helps Christina catch the fish. They both smile as Atlas teaches Christina what to do. It's not even a minute after Christina gets her instructions that she can do it herself. She's fishing, by herself.

At the end of the trip, when the two make it back to the dock where you can weight your fish and have your picture taken, Atlas gets out a Polaroid camera for a man to take a picture.

Atlas tells Christina that she can hold the fish, and even though it's slippery and still a little floppy, it won't bite her like she might possibly think.

Atlas backs away and by time he's out of Christina's reach, she's crying. She's looking down at the fish and then at Atlas. Tears streaming down her face, and there's still a small smile on her lips as she cries.

The camera guy insists that they don't need to take a picture, but Atlas says otherwise and tells the man to take the picture. The camera clicks and the pictures taken.

That night, Atlas guts the fish and Christina helps. They cook it and have homemade fish and chips for dinner, they even invite everyone who wants to come. Christina have said that others should be here and that they can't eat the whole fish themselves.

Once dinner is done, Atlas brings Christina into the backyard where they end up sitting around a fire place. They talk all about work, life, anything that comes to mind.