Little Solider

" Yunno? What are you still doing here?" 

The voice caused the little to jump, almost falling off the couch. They hid behind Lance for a few minutes before peeking at the confused soldier in the large entryway to the common room. He tilted his head slowly at the taller on the couch before closing his eyes and sighing. 

" Sorry, I didn't intend to scare you," he apologized. 

They felt uneasy around him, though he looked tired and stressed. Yunno shifted before placing Lance in their lap and leaning against the backing of the couch. They sat on the center couch, facing sideways to see the entrance to the room. They didn't say anything, more just stared in disbelief over the male who had apologized to them. After everything he had said- why now? 

" Would you quit staring at me like that? It's creepy," he huffed out as he finally moved from his spot. 

He plopped his shield down on the couch to their left. He then disappeared into the kitchen behind them. They pouted and moved to face forward. They took back their comment about being so desperate that they'd even want Steve to be there. Now, they just wanted him to leave. They felt unsafe and scared around him, plus given the things he's said and done it didn't help. Yunno huffed and went back to watching the show in front of them. They relaxed, well, until Steve had flopped down on the couch he had set his shield on. 

The soldier sat there silently, drinking from a cup. They had no idea what was in it, but it smelled sweet like juice. They quietly, and anxiously, rocked back and forth while they hugged Lance close to their chest. Yunno prayed over and over again that someone would come and help them, or drag them away. They'd take anything currently. They fought the urge to babble as they slipped into a younger headspace thanks to the stress of the situation. 

" I can't believe they didn't take you with them, they said they were going to," Steve finally sighed out. 

They blinked at the tv, then moved their gaze slowly to meet his. His blue eyes looked so tired, but far from hostile. They were really pretty like this. 

" 'm don gets it," they mumble out before sinking into the couch. 

" Well, some went out to a mission. Natasha and Clint said they had to go to shield for some business. Natasha said she was going to take you with her," Steve explained in an almost blunt and uncaring tone. 

Yunno's eyes filled with tears. They looked away, nodding and sinking more into the couch. They felt the need to cry but refused to in front of Steve. Steve was too scary to them to even breathe in front of half the time. The soldier seemed to notice this and panic. He sat there tense and unsure what to even do at all. 

" I- um, 'm sorry," he mumbled. 

They furrowed their eyebrows at the other blonde in confusion at the slurred words. It sounded way too familiar to their own when they felt small. They felt fairly big now, probably around six or seven, maybe even eight. 

" It's okay!" they apologized quickly, not enjoying the expression that he held. 

Even if he is a mean jerk, they couldn't let him feel upset over something he didn't even do. Well, currently anyways. They'd feel too guilty if he blamed himself for it. They watched him nod, but not pick his head up from the cup in his hands. He was gripping it tightly and quietly. They went to speak, only for a familiar obnoxiously loud billionaire to come storming into the common room. 

" STEVE!" Tony shouted, making both the blondes jump. 

" Sorry, Yunno- but you better be leaving them alone Steve! I will not hesitate to kick you out of here!" he huffed aggressively towards the older. 

Yunno smiled and giggled, hugging Lance to their chest. It was rare to see Tony actually express how he cares, but this was something they rather enjoyed seeing. They looked over to see Steve, teary-eyed and generally looking close to collapsing on the very couch he sat on. They furrowed their eyebrows at him. Tony seemed frozen in place. 

" 'M sorrys!"