77.

The bells were ringing.

Nasa lawa kami. Except, this time, the lake was graced with the presence of hundreds of people. Maharlika. Mga payak na tao. Mga kawal. Ang prinsipe at ang prinsesa. All sorts of people had gathered for this one special occasion. 

It was the seventh day of the mourning, and the entire country escorts the prince and princess as they set the previous king and queen off to the goddess. It was a solemn ceremony.

Nasa pinakaharap ako ng kumpulan. With other Maharlika's beside and behind me. Those of noble birth had the privilege to stand closer to the procession. Ako, bilang opisyal na imbitado sa palasyo, ay nasa harap. Samantalang ang mga pinakapayak na mga tao ay nasa pinakadulo. The Briar king, being an usurper, had not much been loved. Were it not for his strict ruling, the rebellion would have come sooner. King Briar's reign was dotted with political strife, and in his wake he left a country in the brink of war from all sides. Gayunpaman, marami pa rin sa mga payak na mamamayan ang dumalo. Dala ng katapatan? Dala ng takot? O marahil ay kailangan lang rin nila ng bagay na mapagtutuunan ng sandali upang matakasan nila ang kanilang mga buhay. I guess I would never know. 

By the lake they raised a podium. On either sides were guards with their empty faces and hand's on salute. To the right the Paresia'n flag was waving with the wind. There was silence. Maliban sa tunog nang dumadaang hangin at ang mga huni ng ibon. 

The other officials were also present, led by Lord Areling. Nasa baba sila ng entablado sa kaliwa. Sa mismong entablado, tanging ang prinsipe at ang prinsesa lang ang nakatayo. Princess Yvana was staring down her shoes, never did she raise her head since earlier. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang nararamdaman niya. Losing her parents in front of her very eyes. At si prinsipe Gestalt. I could not see his face at all. He was facing the lake, shoulders tense, unmoving. 

We watched. Sa 'di malamang kadahilanan, may tila mabigat na nakadagan sa dibdib ko. Hindi dahil sa pagkamatay ng hari o ng reyna. Dala ito nang pagmamasid ko sa prinsipe. He might not have been close with his father, but regardless they were still his parents. Is he in pain?  Is he...

Usless thoughts. Kung malaman kaya niya na isa lamang akong espiya ng kanyang kaaway, ano ang gagawin niya sa akin. What would he feel? 

Minutes passed. 

Another. 

Hindi ko alam kung gaano na katagal. Gayunpaman ay hinayaan lang namin ang magkapatid. 

Hanggang sa wakas, lumingon ang prinsipe kay Lord Areling. Hindi ko mabasa ang mukha niya. Tumango si Lord Areling at sinenyasan ang mga guwardiya. 

Trumpets blared. 

And then the boats started to sail towards the center of the lake. They decided to have the old king and queen to stay in the same boat instead of having separate cradles. It was adorned with silk and colorful flowers to the sides, but the king and queen lay in a bed of hay.

We watched the boat as it sailed forward.

Mayamaya, umakyat si Lord Areling sa mismong entablado, iniabot sa prinsipe ang pana at palaso. Tahimik itong tinanggap ng prinsipe. 

He faced the lake again, watching the boat float. 

His shoulders rise and fall steadily. And then he sighed heavily. Walang abog-abog ay nilapitan ng prinsipe ang nagliliyab na ningas sa gilid ng entablado. The arrows caught fire.  Prince Gestalt docked and aimed for the boat, pulled the string. 

Another stretch of silence. 

 And then he let go finally. The arrow flew, hissing in the air, and then it reached its target. The boat blazed with fire.