90.

It was deep in the night. The wind was cold and harsh, biting into my cheeks. Tahimik ang palasyo. Gayunpaman, alerto kami. Silence could easily turn into danger. It was better we didn't take any chances.

We were guarding the prince's chambers. However, we were no ordinary guards. We were the Order of the Blood. The Crown guards were posted, four of them, by the door and the hallway to the prince chambers. 

Ruarie and I however, we were out of sight. We were on a room adjacent to the prince Gestalt's room. It gave us a perfect view to his personal rooms. If something out of ordinary happens, we'll be the first to know.

"Ayos ka lang?" tanong ni Ruarie.

We were on the either sides of a large window. Sitting promptly, watching the room across like predators waiting for prey. It had been hours. We had not spoken. We had not even dare look at each other. It'd been days since the final trial, days since I almost died in the hands of Resca. Days since I killed him for a mask I currently hold in my hand.

I glanced at him. "So, we're talking now, huh?" sarkastiko kong tanong.

Ruarie was also not wearing his fox mask, it was cradled in his arms like a newborn.

He smirked. His face was illuminated by the silver of the moonlight. Sapat upang mapansin ko ang pamumula nang kanyang mga pisngi. Mayamaya, tumayo siya. Sinundan ko nang tingin ang bulto niyang naglalakad sa dilim. Bumalik siya ilang saglit lang at may iniabot sa akin. It was a blanket. 

I scoffed at the gesture, but I took the blanket anyways and wrapped it around me.

Bumalik siya sa kabilang bahagi nang bintana, umupo at muling itinuon ang pansin sa pagbabantay sa prinsipe.

I cleared my throat to get his attention.

He bit his cheeks and then turned to me.

For a long time, we were just staring at each other. Parehong hindi alam kung ano ang dapat sabihin.

Ako na ang nagtangka na basagin ang katahimikan. "Galit ka ba sa akin?" I whispered. I am glad my voice didn't break. However, it took a lot of courage to even say the words.

I held my breath. So many thoughts running all at once. I didn't want to be disappointed by his answer. But at the same time, I wanted to know.

His eyes flashed as though he did not expect the question. And then moments later he broke into fits of laughter.

I frowned. "Anong nakakatawa?" tanong ko.

Kinamot niya ang ilong niya bago niya ako sinagot. "Really, Adelaine? Tinatanong mo kung galit ako sa'yo? Walang rason para magalit ako sa'yo."

Natahimik ako sa sagot niya. He wasn't angry. "Then why?" tanong ko. "Bakit hindi mo ako matignan. Bakit hindi mo ako makausap?"

Natigil siya sa pagtawa. He smiled at me softly. He looked lost, confused.

Nang sumagot siya, naging seryoso ang mukha niya. "Honestly? Hindi ko rin alam? Hiya? Basta, hindi ko maipaliwanag. Hindi ko inaasahan na hahantong sa ganoon ang Blood Trials. We were allies, you know. I thought we were to win together. At oo, hindi ako tanga. Batid kong kompetisyon pa rin iyon. It was you against Resca. Resca against me. And me against you. I just honestly didn't expect it would have come to that. But there was a part of me that was hoping it didn't have to end like that. I couldn't talk to you, I couldn't face you, not because of what you had to do. Naiintindihan ko 'yon. But for some reason, with what happened, I didn't feel like I had the right to face you." 

Ngumiti nang malungkot si Ruarie.

I am at lost for words. Hindi ko inaasahan ang sagot niyang iyon.

Marahan akong napatango.