Chapter 32 Paradise

Chapter 32 Paradise Here.  Its done.  Finally.  You have no idea how bad the writers block was.  But its over.  So here.

I could feel my cheeks sizzling in this heat. Apart from that, my eyes were the only skin visible. The rest of me was hidden in a huge blue robe with a veil covering my head. The camel under me bleated out as he walked in the hot desert sand. All I could see from my vantage point were huge sand dunes and the occasional dry bush. The village was nowhere in sight.

Alex beside me was clutching his forearm in pain and I chuckled at him again. He just shot me a glare and returned to nursing his poor arm. He had forgotten that camels like to bite...hard.

There was an empty shell of an abandoned building up ahead and we made our way to it. It was nothing but concrete pillars and a few walls but it would be better than staying out in the open when the approaching sand storm hit us.

We made our camels sit down and they did so by first folding their front two legs down making us tilt forward. I called out “Don't get thrown off the camel Alex!” Then the camels folded their back legs and we were finally able to get off and tie them to a pillar in the building.

“Hey! Did I mention you look good in a dress!” I said to Alex in between giggles. And he did look good-in a very weird unorthodox way. He was wearing a white gabhi with a veil for men. He would look like a typical desert nomad if not for his trademark blond hair sticking out. Instead of glaring at my joke like he usually did, he smirked and walked up to me.

“Run away Alice while you can.” Uh-oh. That did not sound good. So I ran in my blue robe all the way to the nearest camel. He glared at me and said “really mature Alice” and walked into the structure. That's right, you wanna scare Alex you go get a camel.

Eventually my curiosity got the best of me and I wandered in. It was an empty shell of a building with a room in the middle that still managed to retain all of its walls and a ceiling. “Maybe we should camp here for the night.” I said.

“Franco wouldn't like that. He wants us to get the job done today.” Alex whispered and suddenly the light mood disappeared.

“We can't. Who knows when the sand storm would finish? And we would have more time tomorrow. I'm staying here with or without you.” I said, wheeling onto him.

He looked so conflicted. I walked over to him. “What has Franco done to you?” He didn't say anything.

….

The wind was howling through the bare pillars of the house-like structure and I briefly worried about the camels. It was an hour ago that the first sandstorm hit and more and more kept on following. We had the worst luck today. Hopefully we would get to the village by tomorrow.

Alex and I were still in the middle room hunched around a small fire protecting it from errant wind by shielding it with our bodies. We had already eaten our rations for the day and were in the phase where we didn't know what to do before sleeping.