Chapter 13 Uncharacteristically Characteristic

Here's the next chappie....enjoy! :D

I froze.  Alex just complimented me.  What?  But Why?

I stared at him with wide eyes, he looked so comfortable just sitting there staring back at me like it was completely normal.  Hello it wasn't!

As if sensing something was going on here, Ms. Khush just pretended like she didn't hear what he said and was now carefully surveying her nails which just got really interesting.  Obviously she wanted to give us some privacy.

Oh god, what should I do!? Should I thank him for the compliment?  Should I just ignore him? Staring into those amazing emerald eyes, I was hypnotized.  Oh crap.

I needed to get out of here.

Breaking eye contact, I sprung up from the sofa and ran to the door, tearing it open and running down the short passageway and into the snow. 

No one had ever brought reactions like this out of me, they why is he different? 

I avoided Alex all day, playing with Butch and helping the cooks out in their building.  It was fun hanging out with the four chefs that provided meals for the entire facility.  I learned new recipes and tricks and help them prepare dinner.  Which is what I'm eating right now.

One of the small rooms in the same building as the chefs served as a dining room.  There were thick wooden picnic table style furniture for eating.  They looked cozy and matched with the walls that were made from whole wooden logs, preserving the heat that was coming from the large stone fireplace that was in one side of the room. 

There was actual carpeting in the room, the light blue of the rugs blending in, creating a nice homey setting.  This was my favorite room in the whole facility, simply because of the atmosphere that was lacking in all the other cold, sterile rooms.

A few potted plants were present at random points in the room and there were rich paintings hanging up from the walls.  This was the room to be in.  I smiled happy, the lasagna I was eating was delicious and the picnic table bench thing was really comfy and nice to sit on. 

The fire from the fireplace warmed me and I was talking and having fun with the twenty or so people that lived and worked here. 

It was all so perfect I knew something would happen and ruin this moment.  This something, or someone I should say, walked through the door right at this moment.  There went my happiness. 

Of course everyone else in the room liked Alex, so they welcomed him with open arms and got some lasagna for him.  Then they continued to chat, not noticing that I had become uncharacteristically silent. 

Alex was still standing up, looking for a place to sit down.  He had changed into jeans and a white T-shirt that had writing on it, wearing plain white converses.  Even though it was simple, it looked good on him.  The dining room was packed and there was only one spot left to sit down.  I sighed with relief as I saw that the only vacant spot was next to Viktor, the dog trainer.  Whew!  That was close. 

So I smiled and went back to chatting about which gun was better, the Jerico 941 F 9mm or the Heckler & Koch VP70.  Seeing as I owned one Heckler and Koch, I liked it better.  So my table continued debating about the two pistols. 

As for me, I forgot all about Alex and the confusing compliment, little did I know that fate was about to strike down on me again later tonight, this time with vengeance.

... 

I went back to my room around 8:30pm.  Ever since I first got here, my room had grown on me and I liked the plain white cotton curtains that hung above the single window, overlooking the snow and the dog shed.  From here I could see some of the dogs, including my Butchie, playing around before bedtime, even though it was technically late, because of the weird summer here, there was still plenty of light outside.