Chapter 17 From Predator to Prey

Hey, so this chapter is really short and really depressing.  I know it doesn't fit in with the rest so maybe later on I will change it.  I was feeling really sad but now I'm better.  Already working on the next chapter and its going to be my usual stuff.  So there.

Chapter 17 From Predator to Prey

The next morning found me lying in the middle of my bed with Alex nowhere to be seen.  I stretched my arms and felt around for him but in this tiny bed there wasn't much looking that had to be done to confirm that he wasn't here.  The bed felt cold without him and I curled up gritting my teeth, it was exceptionally cold today.

I got up and went over to the bathrooms, showering and brushing my teeth and hair.  Today was a big day. I was finally going to get out of this cold place.  That was the good news, the bad news was that I have no idea where we were going.  I didn't seem to mind much though, I was tired of them moving me around like I was a piece of furniture.  Whatever happened to settling in one country.  It was a luxury I would never get to know I guess.

Breakfast was depressing to say the least.  Whatever few people that were still there were sitting on their own, huddled protectively over their bowls of porridge.  I sat down in a corner and quickly spooned my porridge into my mouth before the cold could get to it.  The porridge tasted like warm cardboard and I had trouble swallowing it.  Whatever mood was in the air was infecting everyone.  Even the cooks, who usually made amazing food.  What is happening?  Why is everyone so sad?

Another question I had in mind had something to do with a specific boy.  Where was Alex?  I hadn't seen him after last night.  Trust him to disappear when we were going.

Half an hour later I was standing outside in the snow with my duffel bag in one had, the other hand was petting Butch.  He was whining and looking up at me with his big blue eyes like he didn't want me to go.  I was going to miss him like crazy.  Maybe later the company might allow me to come back and visit him.  The atmosphere had gotten to him too and his tail was tucked in between his legs.  Was he scared?  Did he think something bad was going to happen to me?

I walked up to the Hummer and handed my luggage to Gabbie who proceeded to throw it in the back of the Hummer.  She had packed this brand new duffel bag for me, leaving my old winter clothes behind, packing things that would be more suitable for whatever place we would be in next.  Of course she knew where we were headed, she was one of the first to find out. 

Alex finally showed up with his duffel bag as well, it looked really similar to mine, oh yeah I had forgotten that Gabbie dressed both of us.  He was dressed similar to me wearing all black, thick sweatpants and a hoodie jacket that we would both throw away as soon as we got to the plane.  His thick blond hair stuck out of the hoodie, which he had over his head.  The outfit was a stark contrast to the white of the snow surrounding him and he looked like a model standing there staring at his feet, waiting to leave this place.

There was an air of depression around the area, I was never going to see Butch again.  Franco had decided to stay here and supervise a new batch of students coming in.  Gabbie was crying in the hands of our driver guy whose name I still don't know.  Guess I will never see him again then.

Giving Butch one last hug goodbye, I jogged up to the Hummer and took a seat in the backseat, right next to a depressed Alex.  I guess it was one of those days where everyone is feeling sad.

Soon enough, Gabbie and the Driver got in and we started driving.  I buckled my seatbelt and looked up just in time to see Franco waving goodbye.  I waved back, sad that I didn't get to say a proper goodbye to someone I consider so close to me. 

No one in the Hummer spoke as we drove through the thick snow.  We were all lost in our own thoughts, looking out the window at the savagery of the place we were in.  There was white everywhere I looked and the trees looked like they couldn't cope anymore.  Thick black clouds hung in the sky, casting heavy shadows everywhere. 

All the animals were scared away from the noise we were making but as I looked closer I could make out dozens of pairs of eyes all trained on us, watching our every movement.  Even though I knew they were animals their stares chilled me to the bone and I wrapped my black jacket around me even tighter.  It was my job to spy on people, to notice things and to have unknown creatures that lurked in the woods do the same to me was unnerving.  I didn't like being the prey, but in this Russian forest I felt very much like one.