Chapter 33 Exit Wounds

Hallo there!  

Keep in mind that even though this is the last chapter of the book (crept up on you didn't it?) that there is still an epilogue, cause by the end of this chapter, you're going to need the epilogue.  

Please don't stop reading yet cause I already have the epilogue all written up nice for you since well forever.  And please comment, i will be dying to know your reaction to this chapter.

Chapter 33 Exit Wounds

Bombs.  That was the plan.  We were going to blast his sorry, delusional ass with bombs, just like what he had made us do.  This time we were doing it for all those dead children as well as for us.  

Everything had gone well back at the hatch in the island, with Franco congratulating us on a job well done.  He had said we had a week to rest before our next mission, or as Alex and I saw it, a week to kill him.  

Alex had access to the weapons store room so one night we broke in to steal some high explosives, just like the same ones we had used on the orphanage.  The plan was to plant these five bombs as covertly as possible at the last second to ensure that Franco or anyone else didn't see them.  Then, we would detonate them all at once, when we had run away from the hatch.

The place was relatively small and the plan was relatively simple, we just hoped it was good enough to kill someone as experienced as Franco.  

The night we were going to run away was finally here and I was nervous as hell.  If we got caught tonight, there's no telling what Franco might do to us.  This was essentially our only chance to do something.  

We were in my previous cell, sitting on the single cot trying to catch our breaths, this scene seeming a little like deja vu from the last time we were here.  Alex was trying to reassure me that everything was going to be okay.  I was shaking like a mad woman and he was holding me, attempting to keep me calm.

I looked up at him,“Alex, what are we going to do once we're out of here?”

He smiled at me while shrugging his shoulders.  “We'll figure it out together, any life is better than this one”

“But don't you realize that there's no one waiting.  That we would be out there all alone? Can we really do this?”

“So that's why you've been shaking! Yes we can Alice! We're going to be together to figure it all out. Don't worry”

“I'm just scared, what if one of us doesn't make it out alive?”

“Alice I promise you we will both make it.  Its an all or nothing deal.  Either we end up together or we don't." 

He did have a point there.  If we get caught, we're both goners.  I just needed to get my head around this plan.  

We sat there in silence until it was around 3am, when we knew no one was awake.  The previous nights, we had scoped out the area and found out the night guards had dozed off around midnight and tonight would be no exception, thanks to the sleeping pills we had mixed in with their afternoon coffee.

We didn't have any personal luggage but we each carried a small hand gun and a large machete slung across our backs, just in case.

The eerie quiet was mind numbing and my ears strained to hear anything as we sneaked around planting four explosives, one in the hall I was interrogated, one outside Franco's room, one near the jail cells and one in the main hall.  The fifth one we would plant near the entrance to the hatch.