Chapter 29 All Time Low

I woke up in a cot. Opening my eyes I looked around at the dark cell around me. What had just happened? Please tell me it was a dream and Alex is not a traitor.

I look down at my chest and nearly lose it. Heavy bandages were wrapped around my torso and as I tried to get up enormous pain shot through me.

Panting, I rested my head on the dirty cot again and stared at the wall in front of me. This can’t be happening. The whole thing felt surreal. Just like the night Franco died.

Looking around I saw the only thing in the small, dingy room was the cot I was in.  There were no windows and the only way to get out was through the metal door which was bolted shut.  There was no way though that I was escaping with this wound.

I held back all my emotions and just concentrated on the concrete ceiling. Okay. My name is Alice. Franco is dead. I made out with Alex. He just shot me. I’m in a prison cell somewhere. And I’m completely lost.

I felt numb all over and I didn’t know what to think. Just a few days ago I was at the beach with the people I loved and now…

I concentrated on breathing in and out. You will keep this emotionless Alice. You will not think about anything. Whomever has kept you here obviously wants to keep you alive, otherwise you would be dead. Despite all my promises to keep it emotionless, a single tear slid down my cheek and got lost in my hair.

Then I couldn't hold back any longer and more and more tears joined the first one. I just couldn't comprehend the situation I was in. Soon the silent tears turned into sobs and the sobs turned into full blown crying. What was I going to do now? Where is Alex? Why am I here?

I buried my face in the stained mattress to drown out my sobs. Stop crying Alice. Enough is enough. I stopped breathing and just concentrated in the now. Later I started to feel dizzy and my eyelids began to feel heavy so I fell into a restless sleep.

When I woke up again there was a small plate of food on the floor next to my cot along with a glass of water. I hoisted myself up and was surprised when I felt less pain than before. Either they had given me anesthesia or I was passed out for a long time, or both. I gulped down the water and ate a small meal of cut-up fruits.

I still hadn't seen Alex or anyone for that matter. But I knew it would be soon enough. I lay back down and stared at the gray concrete ceiling again thinking about the series of events that led me here.

So much had happened in so little time and now as I thought about it, it made a little more sense. Alex kissed me so I wouldn't see the trail. He even suggested going into the jungle in the first place. But why? Why would he do such a thing? Who is he really?

One thing I knew for sure. I was going to get out of here.

The next thing I know someone is shaking me awake. Groggily I open my eyes. Immediately Alex puts his hand on my mouth and signals for me to be quiet. I look at him unable to decide whether I want to glare at him or remain expressionless. I choose the latter.

His eyes are wide with fear of being discovered and I wonder why. Surely he had brought me here. Why is he scared of being caught?

Slowly he takes his hands off of me and I feel tired. All my energy had been drained out of me these past few days.

He looks unsure as he says “I-I wanted to explain myself.” His eyes are wide as if he's scared I would kill him with my looks. I sure hope I could.

Slowly I sit up, wincing in pain. Looking up to him I see he looks really guilty. Good. He should be.

I lean my back against the cool clay wall and stare at him. He slowly leans down on his knees so he is eye level with me.

“I don't know how to say this Alice. But I'm going to try my best.” He takes a deep breath and begins.

“Our meeting in the airplane was not a coincidence like you think. It was all planned from the beginning. Of course I didn't know it was you that I was meeting and I was genuinely surprised at the rooftop in Singapore but I knew that I was with an agent in the plane and that I would have to fight that agent.

“Alice you have to understand something about the company we work for. Its not good. There are a lot of people from within who want to bring it down. To close it for good. I work for someone like that. But you have to know, I never had a choice.” My eyes watch his hand gestures as he tries to explain himself to me.

“The person who I work for told me to get you. That's why I led you into the jungle. That's why I shot you.” He says trying to sum it all up.

Of course that's not the whole story and I know he is not telling me important things but what resonates in my mind the most is the scene by the waterfall.

Finallly I whisper in a monotone voice. “The kiss. It was a lie.” I could swear I heard my heart break a little inside.

“No! No, no, no Alice.” He looks at me with wider eyes reaching forward to grab my hands. I yank them out of his grasp and I see the hurt flash in his eyes.

He took a deep breath and continued, his green eyes staring at the floor now. “What I did in the waterfall wasn't planned. I kissed you because I wanted to ever since I met you.” He whispers to the floor.

My eyes narrowed at his statement. That was heartmelting but right now I didn't know what to believe.

He looks up at me again and his expression almost makes me want to forget everything and curl up in his arms safe and warm. Almost.

He composes himself and looks at me with a neutral expression. “I'm truly sorry for shooting you and for causing you harm.” He whispers all formal. And he slowly gets up and leaves the room, bolting the door after him leaving me with more questions than before.