Chapter 1 Just a random stranger

Rite so here is the first chapter, pleeeassse comment on it!!

Its a little funny how someones life can change all of a sudden.  Its like you're walking on the sidewalk minding your own business and bham! You get hit by a truck and you wake up from a coma and don't remember anything from your past life.  At this moment in time I had no idea just how much this boy was going to make an impact on my life. He was my own personal truck.

He had long brown hair that almost reached his shoulders and was wearing a navy blue shirt that read “whats wrong, trouble in paradise?” At the bottom he wore khaki shorts.  Stereotypical tourist. But a tourist who put greek gods to shame with his perfectly chisled jawline and high cheekbines. It was as if he had just stepped out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog.  Without the blatent nakedness if course.  Just staring at his gorgeous green eyes made me gulp and turn my head the other way.  You shouldn't be caught ogling random boys now can you Alice?

I pretended to be interested in the airport ground crew loading our luggage into the boeing 777. Wow, this flight just went from super boring to really interesting.

Then suddenly I got a brilliant idea.  Why not have fun on the plane?  If he ever talked to me on this flight (god on the inside I was wishing he would) then I can pretend like I don't understand English! Yes I know, not a brilliant idea but it was certainly worth doing, besides, I wanted to have my fun and see what he said about me in English when he thought I couldn't understand.  That is, if he talked to me.  Now...what language should I speak?  I looked down at my Indian clothes and smiled.

I still kept gazing out my window as I heard someone come and sit beside me on the empty seat.  Please let that not be him, please let that not be him.  I peeked out of the corner of my eye. Just my luck, it was him.

I looked at him the same time he looked at me, oh my gosh, he had emerald eyes!  Swoon. I smiled politely at him and he smiled back. Gosh, he had an amazing smile.  Get a grip on yourself, I was the one who charmed people, not the other way round!

“Hi, I'm Josh!” he said to me in the most perfect voice, not too high, not too deep.  His voice could make baby birds sing.

I pretended to look confused and said “Main sirf Hindi bolteen hoon”  I only speak Hindi.

Understanding crossed his face and he pointed to himself and said “Josh” smiling at me the whole time. Aww and he's sweet too!

I pretended to understand and pointed to myself and said “Simran”.

He nodded and looked away.  I went back to staring out the window until the flight took off all the while ignoring the boy who sat beside me. For the moment that is.

...

The plane finally starts cruising and the flight attendants start handing out menus.  When she hands me mine, I look at the menu confused.  Of course I could read English, its just that Simran Sharma couldn't.  I wanted to see how the stranger would handle this situation.  This probably sounds really weird, but years of boring flights makes a girl go a little crazy.

Seeing me frown, Josh looked at me and said “Do you understand the menu?”

I manage to nod a no after some difficulty. 

He nods and points to the first option: roast chicken.  He then puts the menu down and pulls a pencil out of his pocket.  With me looking over his shoulder, he draws on the menu what seems to be a chicken.  Well, more like a ball with a head and legs, and a triangle for a beak. I burst out laughing looking at the sad excuse for poultry.  When I finish laughing, I look over and see that he has also drawn the second option, beef stir-fry.  At least he is better at drawing cows. 

I smile at him and nod a thank you.  He smiles back.  So when the food cart came around, I ordered the roast chicken, all the while giggling, remembering the crazy picture he drew.  I look at him and he's got the smallest smile on his face, his eyes crinkling a little at the corners.

After I finish eating, I pull out my sketchbook from my bag, checking to make sure I still had my pistol.  I then take out a pencil and start sketching coconut trees.  Don't judge, I was kinda bored.  Suddenly I feel a warm breath tickling my neck. I freeze.  Slowly I turn my head to see Josh looking at the picture with interest. 

“No wonder why you were laughing at my picture earlier, you're really good!” he says to me.

I continue drawing the coconut leaves on the tree ignoring his comment, I wasn't supposed speak or understand English.  He continued to watch me draw out a whole scene, two coconut trees, a sandy beach, the sun and finally I drew him lying on the ground underneath a coconut tree, his head broken, a fallen coconut lying beside him. 

“Haha very funny” he comments sarcastically, taking the sketchbook out of my hands and flipping to the beginning.  He starts to go over all my sketches, the ones I had of sunny islands the ones where I sketched random people from all over the world. 

At one particular point, he got to a picture of an ice cream cone (okay I admit I was craving ice cream when I drew it).  He looked down at the picture and raised an eyebrow at me.  Yep, he was totally judging me.  

I quickly snatched the book out of his hands and flipped to the last page, taking my pencil and starting a game of tic tac toe.

Okay, so it turns out he beat me a couple of times...okay a lot of times. So the guy was good at this game.  All of a sudden the PA comes on a announces that we will be landing in Singapore shortly and tells us to stow our tray tables and footrests etc.

Wow, this went by fast, I look over to Josh, he also seems surprised.  And then I remember that I wasn't supposed to understand the PA, so I just look out the window instead.

The plane lands shortly and I reach down to pick up my bag.  When I pop back up, I see that all the passengers are moving up the aisle and Josh is in the middle being dragged by them waving at me, I wave back “Bye!” he yells out before disappearing behind the partition.  And that's the last time I'm ever going to see those eyes, I think glumly.  He really was nice.

I search around the airport for him but he's nowhere to be found.  Finally I make it out of the airport into the hot humid air and see that there's a black Mercedes waiting for me.  I hop in after quickly introducing myself to the driver.  All the way to my hotel, I thought about Josh.

Comment and tell me what you think! :)