Chapter 24 Into the Wild

Very short chapter, i got stuck on how to do this chapter, its more of a transition.  I wrote the real fun chapter yesterday so thats cool!  Hint Hint its called "Kiss the Girl" after the little mermaid...although now that i think about it....i haven't seen the movie..:( sooo yeah!

Originally i wanted people to imagine their own characters...so its more awesome! but if you want i can find images of Alex and Alice etc.  Just PM me or comment below if you want.

Into the Wild

The island had lost its charm.  The sun was too bright.  The air was too heavy.  The waves were too loud.  And the silence was too deafening. 

Franco had died a week ago yet nothing on this island had changed besides the people.  My head was bandaged up along with my leg, but the superficial injuries couldn’t compare to the mental ones. 

Gabbie had sobbed along with me and Alex tried his best to comfort us.  But only time can heal this kind of pain. 

No one knew who had attacked us or if it was accidental or planned.  Franco’s body had also disappeared at the scene of the blast.  Apparently the ambulance that took him to the hospital had gone missing.  That’s what the company told us, what we believed really happened that evening was up to us.

I tried not to dwell on it much and move on with my life.  I guess what really helped was knowing he was at peace now.  I had done my fair share of crying and mourning for his death, it was time to move on. 

“What do you mean they lost his body?” I heard Gabbie shout from the kitchen.

“How could you lose a whole ambulance?” She screamed into the receiver.   I stared at Alex with wide eyes from the couch in the living room.  Gabbie had never yelled before.  She continued to scream and we heard the screen door slam as she walked away to the beach, still taking to our company.  I looked down at my feet, things are changing.

“I don’t think it was an accident.” Alex said suddenly.  My eyes snapped up to his as he continued, “Think, what are the chances of an errant missile accidentally hitting you and then Franco’s body disappearing?” he said. 

And honestly I had thought about it.  “There’s nothing we can do about it Alex.  The company won’t listen” I said to him.

“Who said anything about persuading the company?” he said, his green eyes glowing.  He had a plan.

“What are you talking about?” I said, getting interested. 

“Obviously the company is smart and has figured it out already; they know it’s no accident.” He started.

Getting excited I added on, “I bet the ambulance people got kidnapped by the same people that launched the missile.  But the company don’t want anyone knowing, thus the reason why Gabbie is pissed off.”

“Exactly.  They’re hiding something.” Alex said, excitement written all over his face. 

“Something they don’t want us to figure out.” I said.

“Something we will figure out.” He added on.

“How? That sounds impossible.” I said. 

“No it isn’t.” He said.  And then he started explaining his plan. 

We were running away.  It wasn’t much of a plan really but I needed to do something!  I can’t just sit here and let his death go unexplained.  I wanted to know what really happened.  It couldn’t be an errant missile.  No, I knew it was no accident.

Franco and the ambulance had disappeared a kilometer away from the bombing site and so Alex and I were going to start there and work our way from what we find.  If we find something. 

This was risky.  I had never gone against the company before but I had to do something.  I couldn’t just sit here and mourn for him.  I had done my fair share of crying; now I was going to find out what had really happened.

After much debate we told Gabbie of our plan.  Of course she wanted to come with us but we convinced her that it was too dangerous for anyone besides Alex and me.  After reason caught up to her it was her new mission to get us packed and ready to go.

Originally Alex had thought we would sneak out the back door or something but now it had turned into an official search and rescue mission.  That is without the rescue and without the company knowing.

We had no clue why the company wouldn’t tell us what had happened that day and it certainly wasn’t the first time they had done that, but we were going to find out for ourselves.  This was the first time we were disobeying the company and we didn’t know the consequences.  Apparently no one cared as we made various packing lists in the middle of the night or took final showers at dawn.

Finally we were ready and Gabbie drove us to the mangrove road, only this part was all jungle.  She gave us a hug each and left us there.  We both looked at the red jeep with long faces.  What had we gotten ourselves into?  Going against the company?  We were just kids!  But then I thought about what I had done in my short life.  No, I was no kid.  What I had gone through was something no girl should have to experience.  And it was all because of the damned company.  It’s good that we were doing this.

And with that thought we turned our backs to the road and entered the jungle.

….

We took turns being the lead and cutting through the thick jungle with our machetes.  The heavy wooden handle felt good in my hands as I swung it around to clear the vines that surrounded the thick trees.  I’m doing something.  I’m going to find out what had really happened.  But honestly it didn’t look good.  We had found no trace of the ambulance or human life for that matter. 

Whoever took Franco’s body and the ambulance people were really good.  Or we were going in the wrong direction.

As the sun started to set over the treetops, we decided to setup camp.  We found a small clearing, barely two meters across that had wild grass growing up to our waists.  Dry wood was found on a nearby fallen tree and Alex had matches in his backpack.

Soon we had a small fire started and we ate the sandwiches we had made earlier on.  I felt so tired from all the planning and trekking I soon nodded off, glad to have Alex there to protect me from whatever hid in the dark jungle that starless night.

I know its not that good, will edit it later.  But vote! and comment if you want me to get the pics.

Have a nice day! :D