40. Anupamaa Falls Sick

As Anupamaa sat curled up in a corner on the sofa all upset, scared and worried, doorbell rang. And she got badly startled.

- Kau... kaun... Kaun???
Her voice quivered.

She said as she placed her ears on the door to check if it's Vanraj again.

- Bhaabhijiii... Doodh ka hisaab... Aur tyohari bhi de dena... Kal naya saal hai.

She calmed herself down, got the money and opened the door.

- Dijiyee bhaiyaa!

- Naye saal ki bahut bahut shuhkaamnayein bhabhi ji.

- Aapko bhi.

She greeted him with folded hands. And she heard a familiar voice.

- Bhaiyaaa kal se yahan bhi doodh de dijiyega.

She turned at the voice.

- Anuj!

He winked at her.

- Kal se dena hai?? Kitna dena hai likhva diyo hum de jaayenge.

- Ye saamne waali bhabhiji kitna leti hain?

- Ek litre.

- To mera bhi ek litre.

- Ji bhaiyaji theek hain... Kal se le aayenge. Abhi jara bhabhiji ka hisaab kar loon.

- Jii. Jaroor...

- Bhabhiji ye aapki raseed hain.

She looked at him and then looked down. He sensed a different sort of sadness this time in her eyes and not ignorance. She smiled looking at Anuj but said nothing. Though her smile was real but not whole hearted.

She paid the bill.

- Arey ee to bandha note di hai aap... Chhutta nahi hai humare pass... Bhaiyaji aapke pass hai??

- Haan...

He took out his wallet for change with his eyes not leaving Anupamaa even for a minute.

Anupamaa didn't match his stare and kept looking at the money in her hands.

- Aap yahan aaj hi rehne aaye hain?

- Haan... Jahan pehle rehta tha vahan mann ni lag ra tha to socha ye kamra le loon... Khaali pada tha kiraaye ke liye to aa gaya... Kya hai na... Yahan ke padosi bahut acche hain...

- Haan bahut acche log hai iss jagah ke. Achha kiye aa gaye humko ek graahak aur mil gaya... Chalo hum chalta hoon.

He handed over the change to Anupamaa and as she stretched her hands to recieve, Anuj observed her skin near her elbows all red and had marks there of someone's strong grip and bruises. He got worried and gasped. She was happy to see him but she didn't want to meet him when she isn't quite calm

- Tum theek ho na Anupama?

- Haan.

- Kuch hua hai kya tumhe?

- Nahii to. Main chalti hoon.

He didn't reply as her eyes bespeak sadness.

- Itna feeka reaction mujhe yahan dekh ke bhi? Kya hua aur vo haath par chot ke aur aise nishaan... Oh god... Kya hua haii ise... Shittt shitttt... Mein hi bewakoof ho jo iski baat maan li aur milne bhi nhi aaya ek baar bhi do dino me...Mujhe nai pata ise kya hua haiii... Par please pleasee pleasee Kanhajii kuch serious na ho...

She went inside and sat near the sofa. A moment ago, she was missing him so much but right now he was in front of her and she couldn't invite him in. Cried inconsolably embedding her face in her knees, that were pulled up to her chin now as it got difficult to hold back her tears after seeing Anuj being so caring and concerned for her that he rented the flat in her apartment just to be with her.