73. The Shaadi Planning

The lights were already on but neither Anuj nor Anupamaa seemed to notice when they stepped in and got readily engrossed into each other.

Anupamaa's eyes followed the voice and saw her mother and son standing there at the kitchen door and tried to part from him.

- Annuujj MAAA hain... Chhoriyee...
She said in a low whisper but he wouldn't free her from the hug.

- Anu... Mai... Main kaise chhorun yaar... Tum to samjho...

- Chhor dijiye ne Anuj... Samar bhi hai...
She gulped in embarrassment.

He reluctantly parted from her and the duo walked to stand in front of Anu Anuj. Anuj holding her bag hid himself behind Anupamaa and clasped her right shoulder tight staring the tiled floor. Anupamaa pressed the bridge of her nose.

- Ma... Maa... Maaa... Aap... Aap dono... Vo... Yahan... Yahan...

She asked looking down.

Kaanta was happy to see her daughter happy with Anuj after so long. She looked at Anuj clutching Anupamaa's shoulder.

Anupamaa pursed her lips badly and patted his hands whispering.

- Anuujjj... Haath hataaiye pleejj... Aur side me aaiye...

- Anuu... Main... Main... Kai... Kaise yaaar...

- Bag hai na... Please aa jaaiye... Aise accha nahi lag ra...

He left her shoulder.

- Mummy vo... Anuj... Aap aapko kya hua...

Samar asked as he saw Anuj's forehead wet and tried to step towards him. Anupamaa stretched her hands out.

- SAMAR... KUCH... KUCh... Kuch ni hua hai... Anuj ko... Vo... Vo theek hai...

- Anu... Beta... Sorryy hume aise ni aana chahiye tha... Vo... Pata ni tha hume...

Anupamaa shut her eyes and licked her lips.

- Maa... Maa aap... aap... Kaisi baatein kar rahi hai...
She said dodging her excuse.
- Samar tu yahan kyu aaya hai!?
She gritted her teeth.

- Mummy vo... humara microwave kharaab ho gaya tha aur mujhe ye cupcakes banaane the to... Yahan aa gaya... Aur aap bhool gayi kya? Main to... Anuj ke saath hi rehta hoon na!

Anupamaa bit her tongue and so did Anuj.

- Maine aapko phone kara bhi tha par... Aap... Aapne uthaaya nahi tha...

She bit her lower lip..

- Aur... Ye damaad ji... Tere peeche kyun khade hain...

- Nii niii... Aise hi bas... Kuch ni...

Anupamaa pushed him out gently as he hid behind her again and he stepped out like a kehna maanne waala baccha.

- K u c h    h u a    h a i     k y a .........

Kaanta asked squinching her eyes observing their nervous postures and body movements.

Anupamaa scratched her forehead and Anuj didn't know how to react and what to say. This was undoubtedly the best Valentine's surprise they could get!

- Bol Anu! Kuch hua hai kya??

- Ni... NAII... Kuch bhi to ni... Kya... Kya hua!? Ni kuch ni...

- Aur... Ye kya... Chal-

- Maa... Cake... Cake ban gya hoga na??

- Nahi mummy abhi usme hai time...

'Kaisi be-akal aulaad hai... Ye ni ki naani ko le kar jaaye yahan se... Upar se khud bhi khada hai bewkoof!!'
Anupamaa thought but she couldn't even scowl at him conspicuously.