Puppy School

"Momma, do I have to go to school?" Chase whined. Grooming her son's messy coat, Sky replied, "I know honey, I know school can be scary. But it can also be fun!"

"I don't wanna go! I wanna stay here," Chase pleaded, giving his mother the infamous puppy dog eyes. Trotting down the stairs into the basement, Duke gasped in pretend shock and exclaimed, "You don't want to go to school?!" Chase nodded his head. Sitting down beside his son, the Newfoundland mix asked, "Why?"

"He's afraid the other kids will make fun of him," Sky explained softly. "Why would they make fun of you? You're the most amazing pup in the world," Duke pointed out, looking over at his son. Shuffling his huge paws nervously, Chase whimpered quietly, "Cuz I don't look right..."

"Cuz your mutt like your old man?" Duke guessed, gesturing to himself. Chase nodded his head again. Duke sighed softly. His son was a mixed breed, just like him. He did have the appearance of a Siberian husky puppy but with huge paws and overall bigger in general. He also had brown splashes in his thick puffy fur. Pulling the pup close, Duke cleared his throat and stated, "Chase, let me tell you something."

"Okay Daddy," Chase mumbled. Giving the pup a lick on the head, Duke went on, "It doesn't matter what you look like Chase, not to me or your mom. It doesn't matter what others think either. The most important thing is what's on the inside. That's what matters. You just be yourself and others will see that. You'll see. But if it makes you feel better, I think you are the handsomest mutt there ever was."

"Really?" Chase asked. Smiling, Duke nodded and declared, "Yes indeed. All the girls will be falling for you." Leaning down, Sky whispered, "He's too young for a girlfriend."

"They'll come knocking one day or another," Duke whispered back, nuzzling Sky lovingly. Looking down at their son, he asked, "Ready Chase?"

Wagging his tail, Chase yipped, "Yes Daddy!"

"Alrighty, let's go!"

"Yay!"