Welcome to the Family

Hours went by and not much changed. The door opened once but only because Chloe had to grab some towels from the bathroom. Other than that, everyone had no idea what was going on inside. No one was more scared than Max right now. He sat in front of that bedroom door, praying he could be let in soon.

"Hey, man. It's going to be okay," Snowball spoke, tapping Max on the shoulder. Looking back at the white rabbit, the Jack Russell terrier nodded his head quietly and rasped hoarsely, "Thank you Snowball. You're a good friend." Beaming at the comment, the bunny puffed his chest out pridefully. At that moment, the door opened and Pops stuck his head out. "Tiny Dog," he murmured, "Come meet your kids."

His heart pounding, Max was nudged by Duke to get on his feet. Trembling slightly, the small canine crept into the bedroom. Gidget was laying in her basket, looking tired but delighted. Chloe and Tiberius sat beside her, congratulating her. Noticing Max in the bedroom, Gidget began wagging her tail as she yipped, "Maxie!"

"I'm here Gidget, I'm here," Max spoke softly, trotting up to the basket. Chloe and Tiberius backed up to give him room. Peering into the basket, Max's eyes widened when he saw the five bundles of fur huddled up at Gidget's side. Most of them were white, a few with different shades of brown spots. The biggest puppy was brown with some white spots. Three were fluffy, two were short haired like him. In Max's eyes though, they were perfect. Licking Gidget's face, he whispered, "They're beautiful, just like you."

"And they're roguishly handsome, just like you," Gidget teased, nuzzling Max lovingly. The two parents gazed upon their litter with love glistening in their eyes. They didn't even realize everyone else had been let into the room until a chorus cried out, "Aww..."

"Guys, really? Way to kill the mood," Chloe grumbled.

"What are you going to name them?" Norman squeaked, sitting on Leonard's head so he could see the puppies. Smiling, Max moved a little so everyone could see into the basket. Pointing to the big brown puppy with white spots, the Jack Russell terrier declared, "I'm thinking of naming this one Luke, after his uncle." Gasping, Duke exclaimed, "That rhymes with my name!"

"That's the point genius," Snowball muttered. He gestured to the new parents to continue. Smiling, Gidget nuzzled one of the fluffy white puppies, revealing the three brown stripes over each of his eyes. "This one is Talon, after my best friend." The Pomeranian looked over at Tiberius as she said that. The red tailed hawk was already in tears. "Dude, it's just a puppy," Ozone pointed out. Shaking his head, Tiberius rasped, "It's not that. Gidget broke my leg while giving birth."

"God dang it Eagle Eye!" Pops snapped, taking out his first aid kit. Watching quietly, Chloe looked away when Gidget continued, "Chloe, I was thinking about naming our first girl Cleo, in honor of you." Surprised, the tabby looked down at the puppy, the only pure white one in the litter. Smiling softly, the feline purred, "Thank you."

"This little one here is Sammy," Max introduced a brown and white puppy that resembled him almost. He was about to continue when he saw the expectant looks on everyone's faces. "He's not named after anyone," the terrier pointed out. Everyone groaned in unison. Ignoring them, Max gestured to the runt, a white puppy with a few tiny orange spots on her face, and stated, "And this one is Snowy, after-"

"You're naming one after me Tiny Dog?!" Snowball gasped, his face lighting up. Bounding over, he practically tackled Max to the ground. Hoisting the terrier up into the air for a bone crushing hug, the rabbit exclaimed, "Don't worry Tiny Dog! I'm gonna be the best uncle these puppies ever had!"

"No, I am!" Duke argued. Max groaned, "Oh great..."