Heartsick

"Eat up you two," Tiberius spoke softly as he brought his sons a pigeon that had been right outside the door. Looking up from their little friendly tussle in the back of the shed, Tobias and Phoenix came over. The old hawk stepped aside to let them eat dinner and went towards the back. However, he didn't get very far as Phoenix piped up, "Dad, aren't you eating?"

"No, I'm good. Help yourself," Tiberius replied, laying down. His stomach, however, disapproved this and growled hungrily. Flinching, the old hawk persisted, "Not hungry." Another growl silenced him. Sharing a look with each other, Phoenix and Tobias went over to their father and curled up beside him. Tobias had brought the uneaten pigeon along with them. "We're not eating 'til you eat Dad," he declared. His younger brother nodded his head in agreement.

Sighing softly, Tiberius mumbled, "It's okay, you two eat. I can wait." He rested his head on the ground as his stomach growled for a third time. "But you hardly eat anything! You just give us most of your own food!" Tobias cried. Lowering his head, Phoenix whimpered, "Please, we don't want to lose you too..." His voice faded away as the small hawk glanced down.

Shaking a little, Tiberius forced himself not to tear up as he pulled both of his sons close to him and whispered, "You didn't lose your mother, she's still with us. Right here..." He pointed at their hearts. His own heart felt broken though as he thought of Angel. Sighing, the hawk nuzzled his two sons as he continued, "We'll see her again one day, I promise. Now eat."

"After you," Tobias responded. Looking both of his sons in the eye, Tiberius knew he wasn't going to win this one as he murmured, "Alright..." Tobias and Phoenix smiled happily as their father took a small bite of the pigeon. As if realizing how hungry he was, the old hawk took a bigger bite. He had to force himself to let his sons get their share before taking his third. About a minute and a half later, the pigeon was gone and the three hawks were fast asleep...