Bestest Friend I Ever Had

"Norman, you better have a good excuse for why you've been gone for two weeks," Tiberius muttered, following the guinea pig through the air vents. It had been a long time since he had been in the vents himself. Had they gotten smaller? Looking back over his shoulder, Norman squeaked, "Well I got lost first and then something magical happened last night."

"Magical huh? This I got to see," Tiberius murmured. He stopped for a moment to catch his breath. Coming back to check on him, Norman asked, "Are you okay?" Nodding his head quietly, the old red tailed hawk rasped, "Yeah, just not used to this much exercise yet."

"Plus the fact you're barely eating anything yet," Norman remarked, gesturing to the hawk's ribs. Covering them with his wing, Tiberius replied, "Hey, it takes a while to gain back some weight." Patting the hawk on the beak with a gentle paw, Norman trilled, "Come on, we're almost there." Bounding over to a vent cover, he opened it, allowing both himself and Tiberius to exit the air vents.

"There you guys are! Come on, they're over here," Lisa chirped, running back to her cage. Norman and Tiberius followed her to a desk with a hamster cage atop of it. While the guinea pigs went inside, Tiberius peered through the bars. His eyes widened when he saw the ten baby guinea pigs in a nest of sawdust and tissue paper. Shooting a glance at Norman, the old hawk murmured, "Norman, I forbid you from having more babies. Ten is ridiculous."

"I'll remember that, thank you. Who knew guinea pigs could have so many baby guinea pigs?" Norman remarked, a big smile on his face. Chuckling softly, Tiberius gestured towards the sleeping newborns and asked, "What are their names?"

"We've got nine girls and one boy," Lisa warned as she picked up the first girl and handed her to Norman, who was waiting outside of the cage. Holding up the child so Tiberius could see, the young guinea pig spoke, "This is our oldest, Rainbow." The two new parents proceeded to hand each other babies as Norman introduced them all, "We have Dawn, Shimmer, Glimmer, Panda, Rosetta, Twilight, Starlight and Speckles."

"They're all very lovely," Tiberius complimented, gazing upon all nine girls. They were all a mixture of Norman and Lisa's colors. Settling his gaze upon the last one, a little boy who looked somewhat like his dad, the old hawk asked, "What about the boy? What's his name?" A sheepish grin crossing his face, Norman scooped up his son and held him out to Tiberius as he answered, "We named him TJ."

"TJ?" Tiberius questioned, gingerly taking the baby guinea pig from Norman. The little newborn boy really did look like his father, only the brown spots were more red in color. Hopping out of the cage, Lisa piped up, "Yeah, it stands for Tiberius Junior." Surprised, Tiberius turned to Norman and asked, "You named one after me?"

"Of course I did. You're the bestest friend I ever had," Norman squeaked. His eyes tearing up, Tiberius gave TJ back to Lisa before he pulled Norman into a warm embrace. "Shh, it's okay. I'm here crazy bird," the guinea pig said reassuringly, tears rolling down his own face. Nuzzling the small rodent as he cried, the old hawk mumbled, "Thank you little guy, thank you so much for everything."