New Families

"Remember, make yourselves presentable. You were not raised in a barn," Gidget pointed out as she and Max laid down beside each other on the blanket. Their five puppies walked around, going about their business and just overall acting like puppies. The humans also took their places, with Emily and Katie sitting on the floor with dogs and Robert sitting at the kitchen table ready to open the door. It remained like this for about two hours.

Then the adopters started arriving.

First was a middle aged lady with brown hair. Greeting her, Robert hung her coat on a hat rack while the woman approached Emily and Katie. Watching the humans interact, Max and Gidget glanced at each other. They knew the time had come. They watched anxiously as the lady observed their puppies and even played around with them. At last after a few words with their owners, she picked up Cleo. "I think," the lady remarked, "You'll make a great companion for my cat."

"Mommy, Daddy. I'm gonna be living with a cat," Cleo commented, looking back at her parents. Smiling softly, Max murmured, "Yes you are. Have fun darling." Peering over the lady's shoulder, Cleo mumbled, "Bye bye Daddy, I love you and Mommy." Waving goodbye, Max replied, "I love you too sweetie."

Thirty minutes after Cleo was taken, the family received another adopter. This one was an old man with a cane. He sat on a chair, watching the puppies play. Max and Gidget noticed he was watching Talon the most as the pup pounced on a squeaky toy. Noticing that he was being watched, he crept towards his mom as he whimpered, "Do you think he wants to adopt me?"

"I think so baby. And if he does, then he's got the bravest little dog I've ever known," Gidget reassured Talon, nuzzling her son. At that moment, they heard a soft whistle from the old man. Giving his mom one last nuzzle, Talon mumbled, "I'm gonna miss you." Closing her eyes, Gidget whispered, "Me too."

Hours passed by before a couple came into the apartment. By then the puppies were fast asleep. Max and Gidget were almost ready to doze off themselves. But they woke up as they watched the couple admire their puppies. "Do you think she'll like this one?" the woman asked, pointing at Luke. Smiling, the man replied, "I think so."

"Hm? Daddy, Mommy? What's going on?" Luke asked, waking up. The fluffy puppy found himself in a hug with both of his parents. "Your new family is picking you up sweetie," Gidget pointed out. Max then added, "Treat them well Luke. And remember that we love you."

"Alright Maxie, it's time to go home," Katie spoke in a hushed voice, kneeling down beside the puppies. Stroking Sammy's fur, she asked, "What do you think? Do you want your son to come live with us?" Glancing over at Gidget, Max woofed softly. Smiling, Katie remarked, "I thought so." The young lady gently scooped a sleeping Sammy in her arms. Bidding a farewell to Emily and Robert, she and Max left. Sighi softly, Gidget curled up around a sleeping Snowy.