Chapter 34

They were seated at a VIP table with a complimentary bottle of wine each. As they sat down, the room became stuffy, so Rory pulled off his jacket and tucked it behind his chair, exposing his forearms from his rolled-up shirt and reclining back with one arm behind Ryleigh's chair. She tried to be comfortable, considering the dress was tight in certain places and the difficult questions earlier. She decided that a drink would help her relax, so she poured herself a glass of champagne and drank it down.

'Don't do that, Ry.' Rory said to her.

'It calms me down. I only do it the once, and that's it.' She tells him. 'I'm not thinking about going mad. Promise. '

She notices the grief in his eyes, something he used to do every night before going on stage in the hopes of calming his nerves.

'Ok, I believe you.' After he finishes speaking, he gently moves her body into her chair and rubs her arm. She returns her look to him, enthralled by his charm and desperate to trace the outlines of his tattoos with her finger.

The lights started to go down, and the show was about to begin. Later, all the judges gathered to make nominations for the best song of the year and reveal the winner.

'Hello.' Bruce says to the microphone.

'I'm not sure if you heard, but we are doing this TV show called 'Battle of the Rockstar.' Marcus said, and the crowd cheered. 'They are all here tonight. Let's get a wave from them.'

They wave to the camera as it moves closer to them. One of Rory's hands was still encircling Ryleigh's chair. She relaxed after the first sip, and she drank more slowly after that. Then, the camera moved away from them and returned to the stage, where it continued further. Ryleigh enjoyed watching it on TV, and being here was a delight. And she will cherish all of the moments she experienced.

After the awards ceremony, they are led to an after-party. The ultraviolet lights were glowing, the music was loud, and the bars were filled with too many drinks to handle.

Ryleigh voiced her excitement in a group with Ester, Elliot, and Rory about how fantastic the entire event was and how she couldn't wait to be invited to more. Rory went to the bar to buy some drinks.

Then, Marcus came over.

'How are you guys doing?'

'Yeah, all good.' Ryleigh said to him.

'Come and meet the rest of the band and some of my friends.' She grinned ear to ear. She didn't want to be too much of a fangirl, so she kept her cool. 'Guys, this is Ryleigh, one of my students.'

They were tall and dressed in leather jackets and skinny jeans. She tries not to scream like a fan and keeps it to herself.

'Hey, Ryleigh, you're my fav to win.' The guitarist tells her. 'You're going to be the winner. I can feel it.'

She expressed her gratitude by saying thank you. They talk a bit more, and another singer joins them, and she knows him, Drew Klax (also known as Absent as his stage name). His jet black short hair, black eyeliner, Celtic script tattooed on his neck, and smart pink rolled sleeved shirt complimented him nicely.

'So this is Ryleigh? I've got to say, a chick from the brit is an amazing asset to the show. You UK fans go wild when I tour there.' Again she thanked him. Rory tagged in and gave her a drink. 'Ah, you must be Rory.' He takes his hand out, ready to shake.

'Drew Klax.' Rory says and takes his hand.

'You got some skills motherfucker. I would like to collaborate with you someday and with you, Ryleigh. Both of you.'

'That would be amazing, thank you.' Rory says, and Ryleigh echoes too.

The night went well, and meeting the members of the band she had been listening to would be the most memorable night of her life. However, it became a little too much at one point, and she needed to de-stress from her enthusiasm, so she went to a quiet corner of the party.

Nobody seemed to be there, and she was pressed against the wall, the liquid she had absorbed coursing through her.

'You ok there?' Rory follows her as he hasn't left her side all night.

'This is the best night ever. They say never to meet your heroes, but my god, aren't they wrong.'

He smiles at her. 'Yeah, they're completely wrong.' He takes a step closer to her, narrowing the distance between them.

'Thanks for helping me out tonight with everything. I wouldn't be ok without you.'

'I care about you.' He tells her quietly, and he leans in a little closer. 'If you weren't here, I wouldn't be ok either.' She pressed her lips together. 'You're so beautiful, Ryleigh.'

'You already said that a few times.' She jokes.

'I'll never get tired of telling you that.' He grins and places his palm on her cheek, and she secretly wants him closer. 'You were ok when I kissed you on set?'

'I never felt better.' She tells him, 'I wouldn't mind if you did it again.' She nibbles the bottom of her lip, and he feels her nose with his.

'You don't realise how much I want to.'

'I want us to be sober enough to remember.'

Rory closes his eyes tightly, figuring out he's a bit tipsy. 'Me too.'

The resistance got their blood pumping for them, and he should retreat, or he would have done it.

'We should get back.'

Ryleigh agreed and followed him.