Chapter 60

Ryleigh waits for the morning rush hour before making her way to work. She used Google maps to get there because she had been away for so long that she had forgotten the route. She felt her stomach turn as she approached the car park. This once simple work with a boring routine was depressing; nonetheless, she was very much "anywhere but here" in her mind. She dreaded the days and not wanting to get out of bed every morning.

The colleagues she made were lovely, and they did make the days go faster. But this isn't something she doesn't want to fall back to. She has finally taken charge of her life and now has a reason to look forward.

The profession itself was something Ryleigh did enjoy. Graphic design has a creative narrative. However, it never gave her complete satisfaction like making music did.

The headphones went on daily in her office chair, and the music motivated her to let the day go by. Sometimes she converses with people, but the music usually comes first.

Ryleigh's desk was pretty clean and empty, and she had no reason to decorate it, as it simply made it easy for her to work, and she didn't need any extra distractions. What made it strange was that she remembered the day they found out she was engaged, and most of the girls got excited for her, and she didn't share their enthusiasm and wondered why.

Going upstairs, she entered the open office to find the familiar individuals seated quietly near the front, intently working on their tasks.

'Hey y'all, you miss me?' Ryleigh says in an attempt to use an American accent, and all heads in the design department turn.

Paul, who has been supporting her overseas, was the first to rise and begin cheering. She received a standing ovation from everyone else afterwards, along with several "woo!"s and whistles.

Everyone gathered in a circle and started asking her questions about the competition and congratulating her on her victory. At least she wasn't as feared by the familiar faces as by the paparazzi. With the support on her home turf, Ryleigh's eyes welled up with tears. She couldn't believe they had stayed up all night to watch and had caught up on YouTube at lunch.

Jack, her manager, brought her into a meeting room for privacy once the excitement subsided. The boring four walls and uncomfortable chairs were unwelcoming; even the air con was a notch too cold.

'First of all, I would like to say congratulations on your win. You deserved it.' Jack started. The grey lines on his roots are a lot lighter than Ryleigh remembered.

'Thank you. I have to admit...I didn't think I could pull it off.' She replied.

'Well, it seemed that performing suits you.'

Ryleigh smiles sincerely. 'Oh, I have this.' She grabs the small white paper in her back pocket. 'It's my resignation...I thought you might want it in writing.'

'I knew this was coming. You weren't going to come back to work when you won, would you?' He joked, and Ryleigh laughed. 'I already talked to HR for you. Next month's pay is sorted, plus all the holidays on top that you never took. It will all be in your last wage slip.'

She nodded.

'So, what happening with you now?' He inquiries.

She shrugged, 'Well, I have some radio and magazine interviews to do, and sorting my things out before I get back to LA.'

'How long will you be here for?'

'Less than two weeks.'

'Can you be available next Friday?'

'I think so...do I have to work?'

Jack laughed, 'No, but a leaving do should be in order.'

'Oh no, it's fine. There is no need.' Ryleigh waves him off.