Chapter 22

The next day, she slowly opened her eyes and picked up her phone to see more messages from Russell, as he's been texting overnight. She decided not to open them because it was too early in the morning to get frustrated. Ryleigh was surprised to smell something fresh and delicious when she went downstairs because she was usually the first one up.

As she goes towards the kitchen, she can see Rory's back with his tattoos peeping through his vest top. She walks over discreetly and leans on the island.

'You're up early?' She states and makes him jump.

'Fuck Ryleigh, you scared me!'

She laughs. 'It smells nice. What is it?'

'You'll see.' He grins at her, and she settles into a barstool chair, places her phone on the counter, and can't help but stare at him. When Rory was finished, he put the dish in front of her.

'Ta-da pancakes.' Rory says. They were the ideal circular and a diner-style golden-brown colour.

'Be careful. Everyone else will want these too.' She taunts. He leans in closer.

'It'll be our secret.' He whispers and winks at her.

The phone on the counter vibrates, causing her to lose eye contact. Russell has sent another message. She views the name and turns it over, not wanting to ruin her morning. Ryleigh took a bite and was ecstatically delighted by the flavour and texture.

'God, these are good. Did they teach you to cook in prison?'

He laughs. 'No, I'm just good at it.'

'You'll have to make me breakfast every morning while I'm here.'

'No, don't be lazy.'

'I'll do your washing. I mean laundry.'

Rory raises one eyebrow, 'It's a nice offer, but no thanks. We'll take turns.'

'I did offer.'

He shrugs. 'Thought you might need the sleep...from the rough week you had.'

There was no way she could hide it, and she knew Rory was aware something was troubling her. But, at least he didn't want her to go into detail about it.

'That's very thoughtful of you...' Ryleigh stuttered.

'I'll make sure it's your turn next time.'

He approaches her and tears a pancake slice from the stack, nibbling into it without taking his gaze away. Ryleigh uses her flirtatious charm to try to pull off her best puppy eyes.

'It may be cute, but that's not going to work.' He smirks at her.

'Worth a try.' She smiles at him.

Rory raises his hand, his thumb stroking her lips, and her heart accelerates.

'I don't have anything on my face.' She speaks softly.

'I know.' Rory leans in even more, and she waits for their lips to meet; it wasn't right, yet for some reason, she wanted it to happen.

A sudden ringing noise came from the counter, and it rang for a while until Rory pulled back just as their lips were about to meet.

'You should answer that.' He voices his disappointment, and she picks up the phone to see Russell calling.

'I'm sorry.' She informs Rory and dashes upstairs to the private room.

'Hello?' Ryleigh says.

'Why have you been ignoring me?' Russell spats at her.

'It's 8 am here. I just woke up.'