Chapter 17

Ryleigh felt like herself again and was ready for her signing lesson. Her appetite returned later in the evening, but she continued to have hot flushes and slept with a wet towel around her neck.

Rory didn't have to go to such lengths to care for her. Ryleigh never asked for it, but now that she's seen his gratitude for her, she gapes at his smile even more and how it brightens the room. Well, for her primarily.

She dressed in denim jeans and a blue vest top, without a jacket as she still felt warm, but it could be from the California sun.

Ryleigh was the last one to come downstairs and into the kitchen today, and Rory had prepared her a traditional American breakfast of pancakes, bacon and fried eggs. He's been keeping a record of what she's been eating, drinking and anything she dislikes. As he tempted her into his feast, he saw the glow return to her rosy cheeks. The high-fat greasy meal made her stomach grumble with happiness.

She starts with the pancakes, which were as good as the ones she had on her first day at the diner. The delightful taste on Ryleigh's face pleased Rory so much that he had to nibble on the bacon.

He sits close enough to smell the perfume she wore on her night out and the strong smell of shampoo on her hair and skin. Her fair hairs and freckles show through as the UV rays tan her skin beautifully.

Ryleigh can tell how smitten Rory is from his expression. She tries not to compliment him too much since he'll remind her about it all day if she does. But she can't help and reflect his Cheshire cat smile.

Then, as he sets up a polite conversation, she teased him for wearing his leather jacket everywhere he went. He must have had it for a long time because the toughened skin began to crack.

'Do you sleep with it too?' She said, and he smirked at her.

'I think for that, you can make me breakfast tomorrow.'

'Why would I want to do that?' Taunting him again.

'Because I made you one yesterday and another one just now.'

'Whatever.' She friendly bumps him with a giggle.

As they sit on the couch in the studio, waiting for the teacher to come in, Rory rests comfortably with his arm slung over with Ryleigh sitting next to him. Her left leg starts to twitch, considering how difficult this lesson will be. She's not afraid of a challenge, but this was much above her capabilities.

'How are you feeling today? You're all good?' Kelsie comes and sits next to her.

Ryleigh nods, 'Never better.'

'You sure? Your leg is twitching.'

'Oh, no, it's just nerves and impatiently waiting.'

'Thank god. I thought it was some after effect.' Kelsie sighs with relief and puts on hand on her chest.

'You have nothing to worry about.' Then, she feels a hand going on her twitchy knee and turns to look at Rory.

'You have nothing to worry about either.' He tells her, and she smiles back.

The teacher starts with a warm-up and guidance on locating and managing voice tension. Ryleigh struggled with it and needed to take sips of water in between breaks, whilst the other three were used to it and were unaffected.

Rory chose not to show off and concentrated on how she was doing, and he could tell from the circles under her eyes that she hadn't had enough sleep last night. She felt tired, tossing and turning with sweat dripping down her face, contemplating what her priorities were and if Russell was reasonable, and she wondered if she should constantly worry daily.

Afterwards, they took turns into the recording booth to test their pitch level while the rest watched from behind the glass. Rory volunteered to go first and showed the different ranges he had to choose from, which she thought was incredible. Blake went in next, and he did everything he could to show off.

'You're doing really well.' Rory whispers in her ear, and she responds with a small smile.

'Not as good as you guys.'

He grabs her hand and tucks it behind, squeezing it. 'You're brilliant, Ryleigh.'

She lets out a soft gasp and stares at him intently, finding it difficult to look away. Her body vibrates with electric waves as her hand clasped in his.

'Ryleigh, your turn.' When the sound guy calls out, she loses focus and walks into the booth, where she puts on the headphones.

When the sample track starts playing, she takes a deep breath and prepares to scream. She tries not to yell at the top of her lungs to avoid scratching her vocals. Once recorded, she heard herself back and found it was too quiet and that she needed to be louder and decided to have one more go. The next time sounded clearer, and to not push it anymore, she had enough for today and gulped down half a bottle of water.