Chapter 32

Finally, the song was finished, and she thought it was the best she'd ever written. It also makes her believe that working with Rory inspired and motivated her. Rory felt the same way; his feelings for Ryleigh began to peek through the cracks he'd been suppressing, but he had to be cautious because she'd only recently gotten out of a relationship, and for her to move on, so quickly wouldn't be good for their reputation.

After their PAs listened to the track, they had some exciting news to tell them.

'You've all been invited to the Epic Rock Sound Music Awards.' Kelsie spills.

Both their jaws dropped.

'You got to be shitting me.' Ryleigh blurted out, causing Rory to burst out laughing.

'So the girls will go out and get dresses while the boys get their suits together, and the cameras will be on you. Make-up and hair team will be in the house for you to get ready.' Kelsie gives out the details.

'Right, let's go and do the music video.' Josh says.

The director's vision was to convey that they were attempting to be coupled up but couldn't find a way to express how they felt about each other. So, during one of the scenes, they dress up as if they're at a house party, and every time they get a chance to kiss, one of their friends drags her away to dance, or the boys want to play beer pong or other drinking games. Rory is dressed in skinny jeans and a tight black t-shirt, while she is dressed in a blue summer dress that falls above the knee and has her hair curled.

At first, the acting was uncomfortable, but they started to get used to it. Every time Ryleigh get's close to his face, her breathing becomes harder to control, waiting for him to do it. He's desperate at the same time, and the suspense is driving him crazy. Everyone on set thought they were good actors, but it's real to them, and they want it.

They also had a scene where they performed their song in front of a tiny audience in the basement. They appear to be looking into each other's eyes, communicating their feelings from their written verses. When she sings, he wraps his arm around her shoulder and nuzzles her neck, making her giggle.

The director wanted to do one more scene at the end of the day. Rory holds Ryleigh's hand as they walk home, both shy and delighted. They stand at the bottom of what is meant to be her house, waiting for Rory to make a move. As Rory acts in hesitation, she says bye and walks up the stairs.

Then, Rory chases after her, clutching her hand, irritated that he didn't get the chance to tell her how he felt. She blushes a little as he pulls her close and places his hand on her face.

'Ok, so in the editing of the video, we will black out drawing into a kiss, so it gives the audience some anticipation. It's up to you both if you want to.' The director tells them.

Rory looks at her. 'Do you want to?'

'If it makes it believable, I don't see why not.' Ryleigh tries to be cool about it but is excited inside. Rory became jittery, realising that now might not be the best time to do so. He's fantasised about it and now has the opportunity, but it's all an act for the time being.

'Ready when you are.' The director calls out.

He looks at her, 'Ready?'

'Ready?' She whispers with a smile.

He pulls her in close and kisses her. It's kind, warm, and soft. Her heart felt as though a piece of her soul was healing, and this was the medicine she needed. Rory wanted to let go of everything he wanted to show her. It played on his mind all day, "This is too soon", but then again, how long would he have waited?

Holding there for a bit, he drew back, and Ryleigh liked it better than she imagined. She couldn't stop smiling, and he did as well.

'Cut. Thanks, both.'

They take a step back from each other, forgetting they are being watched, unsure of what to say or do next.

'This is going to be a killer video.' She breaks the ice.

'Yeah, defiantly.' He goes quiet, needing to calm down. Luckily, Josh and Kelsie arrived just in time to divert their attention.

Rory returned to normal after calming down from his thoughts, and Ryleigh considered that perhaps Rory wasn't as interested in her as she had assumed. It's as though he was uneasy about the whole thing and wished he hadn't done it. For the remainder of the day, she couldn't read him.

She did feel down about it, but maybe it wasn't the right time and being on her own for a while would be better.