Chapter 7

The next day, she was getting ready on time to be picked up to have her one-to-one session with Marcus. Ryleigh had been undecided about what to wear all morning and preferred something simple. However, after her shopping spree, she sees many overdressed outfits for a short session. Ester could see she was frustrated and offered her a helping hand. She pairs a white lace bodysuit with black shorts, tights, and a skull kimono overlay. Ryleigh grins as she remembers wearing something similar when she was a teenager, but she didn't think it would be appropriate for her current age.

'I think this is a bit much.' Ryleigh stated.

'Shut up, and let me curl your hair.' Ester joked to her.

She took longer to get dressed, and she only had time for a quick bite to eat. As she descends the stairs, all eyes are on her in the kitchen, including Rory.

Out of everyone there, only his opinion mattered to her. When Ester came down the stairs and walked past her, she found Ryleigh was being scrutinised.

'Take a picture. It'll last longer.' She informs them, and everyone resumes their breakfast eating as Ryleigh enters the kitchen.

'Morning.' She said to Rory.

'Morning.' He smiles, 'What are you up to today?'

'I'm going to have my one-to-one with Marcus.' She walks on past him to the cabinet.

'Hey, what are you doing?' Ester calls out.

'Getting some food, I'm hungry.'

'No, you spill stuff on you, and you've not got time to change.'

'She has a point.' Rory chimed in but with a sarcastic joke. She closes the cupboard lid, frowning slightly smirking at their remarks.

'Fine.'

The car arrived on time, and she stepped inside to find Kelsie waiting for her in the backseat.

'Oh my god, you look amazing!' Kelsie screeched. 'I never thought about the shorts with that top, good thinking.'

'It was more Esters' idea.' Ryleigh told her.

'Oh, she's a good girl.' Kelsie's spirit was lifting hers.

She sees Marcus and someone with a guitar in the studio, ready to play her track. The warm, inviting environment she enters, with the show's logo, emblazoned on the bold brick walls as a backdrop. He warmly embraces her, and she beams from ear to ear.

'Hey Ryleigh, before we get started, tell me why you're here?'

'I just think that something was missing from my life, and music is my way of escaping. All I want to do is show and share it with the world.'

'From how you performed when we first saw you, I noticed you were nervous. I think it's time to show me what you got.'

She gave a smile and walked over to the microphone stand. Her nerves began to run fast, and she ordered herself not to do it and took a deep breath and nodded to the musician. She clutched the microphone tightly as he strummed the first few chords.

From always watching from the audience's perspective, she swapped roles with the singer on stage, whom she had been watching for years, imagining one day she could do this. She sang, concealing her doubts from those who did not believe in her. Screw them all. She doesn't need them.

Once she finished, Marcus started clapping.

'That's not bad. I'm looking forward to you finishing it. Have you thought about the rest yet?'

Ryleigh nodded and listened to his suggestions, which was extremely helpful, and her mind began to buzz with ideas, and she was desperate to get to the studio and record.