Chapter 15

Ryleigh opened her eyes to see a clear white ceiling, and her vision started to return to normal. However, something doesn't seem right, so she tries to remember what happened last night and looks ahead to see the TV and her left the kitchen.

On what seemed to be a sofa bed, she was covered in a blanket, wearing a grey t-shirt that didn't belong to her. Ryleigh looks over to the right and sees Rory curled up next to her, wearing a vest top and jogging bottoms.

Her mind raced with the worst, and she raised the blanket to check if she was wearing her knickers. They're still on, which was a relief. Ryleigh doesn't remember getting that drunk. So why is she here, and how did she get here?

Her stomach began to growl and bubble up, making her want to vomit. She moves to the side of the sofa bed and notices a bucket already full of it. She smelt the odour causing the urge to go.

The heaving cry alarmed Rory because he thought he had just closed his eyes for a few seconds. He kept a close eye on her during the night, unsure whether she would ever improve. Rory felt the pain in his chest as he watched her breathe gently and comfortably while sleeping, and he realised how much he desired someone like her. He's supposed to be her friend, but he's getting a little too protective and obsessed.

He rubbed circles on her back, and the feeling caused her to turn to him, looking weak and preparing to weep.

'Thank god you're ok.' He says, circling his arms around Ryleigh as she leans against his chest. Seeing her in this state only wants Rory to protect her even more. He is unable to contain his feelings for her.

Ryleigh's eyes well up with tears as she feels his worry for her and how he clings to her when she's in distress. The warmth of Rory's body and hearing his heartbeat deepen her connection with him.

She forced herself to look at his face, and he had the same love and kindness in his eyes too.

'What happened? I don't remember how we got here.' Ryleigh asks.

'Your drink got spiked, and I noticed you started to show unusual habits.'

She took a look at the t-shirt that was sticking to her body. 'How did I get into these clothes?'

'Ester and I brought you back with the paramedics checking you over. Kelsie came by too. We couldn't find your PJs, so I got a spare shirt, and the girls changed you.'

'Why couldn't I sleep in my bed?'

'Because you were throwing up and started to have panic attacks. So I stayed with you until you fell asleep.' His generosity to her made him more attractive, and she couldn't think of a way to repay him.

'You didn't have to do that.' She lies back down.

'I've been on it before, and I know how crazy it makes ya.' He lies back down beside her, 'I got so worried.' And he pulls her in for another hug, wanting to hold her.

She can sense his pulse quickening once more. This was a little too close for comfort, mainly because being in Rory's arms felt natural. This wasn't showing loyalty to Russell, no matter how much she secretly wanted to stay.

'I need the loo.' Ryleigh tried to get out of bed but didn't have enough strength to stand up, and she stumbled. Rory leapt to her rescue.

'Careful, I'll take you.' He holds to her waist, and she drapes one arm over his neck. Ryleigh was tempted to say no, but she was exhausted, and his kindness was irresistible.

After taking her, he puts her back on the sofa bed, grabs some water, and returns to sit on the edge of the bed.

'How long would it take to leave my system?' She asks him.