✽ 30

~Brie~

Or we're going to have a problem...” I mimicked. “Pathetic” I rolled my eyes and angrily took a photo of a bird perched on a tree.

I groaned.

“Stay still!” I screamed and the bird flew away. “Coward!”

My shoulders dropped and I sighed.

“You know, you might want to disable the flashlight first” a voice called out to me. “But if you did, your photos would be dark and miserable so why don't you pick this up in the morning instead?”

I turned and the man smiled at me.

“Nicholas Page” he introduced and extended his hand.

I eyed it for a second before taking it. He gave me a firm handshake and let go.

“I'm sorry... do I know you?” I asked.

He smiled.

“Maybe... we worked at the New York Times.”

My eyes moved upwards automatically, trying to remember. But he chuckled and shook his head.

“I'm sorry but I don't recall a Nicholas Page.”

He nodded.

“It'd have surprised me if you did.”

I made a face.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Well I was at the bottom of the food chain so you couldn't have known me to remember me,” he said. “I was a bottom feeder and you were the woman Marla always put on a pedestal.”

“Yet got fired after her divorce” I chipped in. “Makes you rethink your pedestal statement huh?”

He smiled.

“It's nice to see you again, Breanna.”

“Likewise.”

“What are you doing here, taking pictures of cowardly birds?” he asked.

I laughed.

“It's for work.”

“At this hour?”

I shrugged.

“My boss is... unique.”

And a jerk!

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

He put his hands into his pockets.

“I err... came to be with my girlfriend,” he said.

I leaned my head back.

“It's just two weeks.”

I slowly nodded.

“So Marla let you take two weeks off to travel across the country to be with your German girlfriend?” I asked. “Interesting.”

He chuckled.

“First off, she's not German. And second, I don't work for Marla anymore.”

“Oh?” I questioned. “Did you get divorced too?”

“Fortunately no.”

Touché.

“After she fired you, a bunch of my fellow bottom feeders and I quit.”