✽ 58

~Aubree

“Oliver?”

“Hi, Mommy.”

Air rushed out of my lungs in full relief and I pushed my chair back and moved toward him. Not caring how I'd struggle to get back up, I crouched down. I pulled him into a bone-crushing hug, needing to feel him—the beat of his heart, the little whoosh of his breath, his chubby cheek against mine.

“Oh my baby,” I rasped out, feeling emotional. “I'm so sorry, Olly. I swear.”

“I missed you so much, Mommy” he whispered.

I pulled back and looked at him.

“Yeah?”

He nodded.

“How much?” I sniffed.

“This big” he holds his arms out widely.

I chuckled and hugged him again before finally letting go.

“I missed you so much too, my love. Look how tall you are now” I smiled, threading a hand through his now lengthy blonde hair.

He giggled.

“Are you growing it?” I asked.

He nodded.

“Daddy said it's okay. Do you like it?”

I sniffed.

“I love it” I confessed. “I love everything about you, Oliver. And I'm super happy to see you.”

“Really?”

“Of course. Why would you think I wouldn't be happy to see you? You're my baby.”

He smiled at me, his tiny fingers playing with the ends of my hair.

“Okay.”

I nodded, sniffing.

“Okay,” I whispered with a smile.

He brushed a hand against my wet cheek and I held his hand in place against my cheek, closing my eyes to cherish the moment.

Thank you, God!

“Sorry for not calling. I hope we're not intruding” his deep mellifluous voice rang above me.

Oh God!

My eyes automatically opened and I looked up. Blonde hair, blue eyes, just like Oliver's. Riccardo didn't look a day older than the last time I saw him... months ago.

His eyes, for a moment, I'm lost in them. Till my mother unknowingly rudely interrupted.

“Of course not, Ricky. You're family.”

“You're welcome over any time” Dad added.

“And it's so good to see our little Olly again. Come here sweetheart” my mother held out her arms to him.

He looked at me.

“Go on my love” I encouraged and he gave me a small nod before running off to hug her.

I smiled.

“May I?”

I turned and Riccardo was holding out a hand down at me.

“Oh yeah. It's a bit... tough” I confessed, taking his hand.

He squeezed my hand gently.

“Isn't it for all of us?” he asked.