✽ 62

~Brie

I got down the stairs and was met with the smell of sizzling bacon and my sister belting out off-key to one of John Legend's songs. My stomach grumbled, demanding to be fed after my long night.

I found her in the kitchen, cooking and singing into the spatula in her hand.

Who’s got you in such a good mood?

I rammed my knuckles against the kitchen counter.

“Morning.”

Aubree jumped a little and turned down the volume on the small speaker.

“Breanna! Hey! You're awake. I didn't hear you come in.”

“That’s because you were too involved in whatever's happening here.”

She chuckled.

“I hope you don't mind. I'm making breakfast. Then Olly and I'll get out of your hair.” 

“It can't come soon enough” I grinned.

She just smiled sweetly at me.

“Baby, get down here!” we both called out at the same time.

I made a small face.

We're so not making this a thing.

Aubree smiled and for the first time since the whole Beckett drama, her smile was back to being infectious.

“Would you like some to eat?” she asked.

I eyed the frying pan on the stove.

“You don't have to be suspicious, Breanna. It's just bacon” she chuckled. “Harmless bacon.”

I folded my arms.

“Or are you still full from this morning?”

I narrowed my eyes at her.

“Okay listen to me, Aubree. I welcomed you and Oliver into my home after you snuck in... no questions. So the best thing you can do is hurry up and leave and not make any references to my date, capeesh?”

She flashed me a toothy grin.

“Yes ma'am.”

Footsteps neared me and I turned just in time to prevent Oliver from crashing into me.

“Walk, Olly. Please?” I asked.

He nodded.

“You look pretty Auntie Brie” he grinned.

I smiled.

“Thank you, darling. It is a new shirt.”

His eyes fell on his mother and he grinned wider.

“Yeah but Mommy looks prettier” he giggled.

I chuckled a bit and stood up straight, waiting for Roman.

“Manny? Get down here!”

He poked his head through the kitchen archway.

“What's wrong?” I asked.

He glanced at Aubree and shook his head.

“I didn't hear you come in last night” he muttered, dragging himself in front of me.

“Yeah, you were fast asleep” I replied, pushing his curly hair off his forehead to kiss him. “But I kissed you goodnight.”

He groaned a little and buried his face in my stomach, trying to blow little raspberries. I rubbed his back.