93 ✽

~Brie

I heaved Roman up onto my hip and he threw his arms around my neck as I walked over to the sink with him.

“How’s everything been?” Aiden asked on speakerphone. “How’s my boy?”

“He’s good. The doctor said his cold should clear up soon. How’s everything over there?”

“Going great.”

“That's good” I smiled as I rubbed Roman's back.

“Brie, are you sure Roman's fine?” Aiden asked.

The way he worried about my son was the best thing in the world. I smiled.

“Yes, Aiden. It's just a cold he's fine... just getting heavier” I said, adjusting my ten-year-old in my arms.

It’d already been almost a week since Aiden went away on a business trip and I missed him terribly.

Megan and Ron had been trying to adopt a baby and just when they'd gotten a call from an interested birth mother, Ronbie was away on the business trip with Aiden. So I had to babysit and help Megan out.

She had been at the hospital for days because following a hard labor, they had to take the birth mother to the operating room for a C-section, which resulted in a longer recovery time than we had expected.

“How's Ron holding up?” I asked.

“Trying not to freak out about being a dad.”

I chuckled. The line went quiet.

“I miss you,” I whispered as I adjusted Roman's shirt.

“I almost bought a flight down for this weekend. It's hell without you.”

“You can’t leave your job, Aiden. And Ron will be an even bigger mess all on his own,” I said. “Besides, you’ll be home before you know it. And before you know it next weekend is here and we’re getting married.”

He sighed.

“I know. And I can't wait, my love. But it’s just...” Aiden trailed off, not finishing his sentence.

“Just what?”

“Never mind. It’s not important. I just can’t wait to have you back, in my arms.”

“I know,” I said, because I wanted that too.

More than he knew. Roman sneezed and he groaned a little.

“Aiden, honey, I gotta go, okay?”

“Yeah” His voice was sullen, withdrawn. “Take care of my boy yeah? Talk to you soon.”

“Bye. I love you.”

“And I love you.”

He hung up and I sighed.

“Let's get you into bed, okay my baby?” I whispered to Roman.

“Will you cuddle with me, mommy?” he said through his nose.

“Always.”

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Megan arrived home a day later, her arms wrapped tightly around a sleeping bundle that radiated warmth and love as Louisa jumped excitedly by her side.

Of course, I’d visited them in the hospital after the baby had been born, but those first days had made all the difference.

“Thank you for everything Brie,” my friend said, wrapping me up in a hug after settling her newborn into the bassinet.