75 ✽

~Brie

“Hurry up Mommy, we're going to be late!”

I glanced at my son through the rearview mirror as he hurriedly undid his seat belt. I turned off the ignition and shook my head.

“Calm down, Manny. We're on time.”

“I wanna put Dashy's bowtie on him and see Aiden and Iris.”

“They're not even here yet” I chuckled as I climbed out of the car.

My parent's driveway housed several cars... Aiden's excluded thank goodness. But that also meant my entire family was already here.

“Mommy!” Roman whined, tugging at my hand and pulling me toward the house.

“Easy, Manny. Thanksgiving dinner isn't going anywhere” I laughed.

We climbed the front steps and just as I lifted my hand to knock with the iron lion-shaped knocker in the middle of the wreath, my fingers caught air as the door swung inward.

“Hi, Grandma! Bye, Grandma!” Roman greeted in a rush and ran inside the house.

My mother stood in the doorway wearing a dazzling smile and a bronze outfit made of a shimmery fabric. She’d matched her eyeshadow to it as well as her nail polish and jewelry. She swept out of the house, pulled me in for a hug, drowning me in her perfume, and stepped back to look me over.

This is an interesting ensemble,” she cooed.

“You look amazing too mom.”

“Well come in, come in. Your father just took the turkeys out of the oven.”

Plural.

As per usual, my mother and the house swallowed me whole. The house smelled like turkey, stuffing, baked pies, and cinnamon candles. Twinkling lights and leafy garland made everything feel ultra-cozy. I barely had time to take in the rest decorations she'd put up before I was whisked away into the kitchen.

Somehow it seemed the high ceilings had gotten higher, the wood walls had been waxed, and our giant chandelier had more tiny lights.

“Which wine should we serve? Red or white?” she asked, holding up two bottles.

“Pinot noir” I replied. “Although I'm feeling Chardonnay too.”

“So serve them both” my dad chuckled, whipping off his oven mittens to hug me. “You can never go wrong with too much wine.”

“Hi Daddy” I greeted with a smile.

“Where's Aiden?” he asked.

“He's coming with Iris. I'm sure they'll be here any—” I trailed off when the kitchen island caught my eye. “Mom, what's all this?”

“Thanksgiving” she beamed.

I glanced at my Dad.

“This isn't the menu we drafted yesterday.”

“True. But your mother decided to make a little of everyone's favorite dishes.”

A little?

The entire kitchen island and the counters were filled with food.

“But—”

“Let's go say hi to everyone else. They're in the den” My dad nodded at me through his 'don't argue because you'll lose', look and put his hands on my shoulders.