✽ 20

Memphis, Tennessee

~Aiden~

Two weeks ago

I pulled up in my car outside the neighborhood Gabriella was supposedly living in.

“This way” Travis motioned to me to follow him.

We stepped into the back alley, near some garbage containers.

“Are you sure, Detective?” I asked.

“This is the building she was recently seen at” he answered.

I sighed softly and nodded. Turning the doorknob of the back entrance of the building, he stepped inside. I almost bumped into a group of women when I stepped through the door. They were all wearing black dresses with black scarfs over their heads. The girls eyed me up and down, then giggled.

We continued our way inside the building. The ambiance was very nice, striking a balance of French art and beauty. The interior architectural designs were a blending of vintage and contemporary.

“Hello, excuse me, Miss” Travis waved down a woman.

She was loudly chewing on a piece of gum. She smirked at me before giving Travis her attention.

“How can I help you boys?” she asked.

“Who do we speak to get some information on a person?” he asked.

“Well speak to me, darlin'. It'll only cost you your friend here” she grinned at me.

God!

“So tell me. Is this person you're looking for a criminal?” she asked.

“More or less” I answered.

She arched a brow at me.

“Ouu an accent” she teased. “Well what are you doing all the way from England, Charming?” she asked, reaching out to brush something off my arm.

“We're looking for a woman,” Travis said.

Your woman?” she asked me.

“More or less,” I said again.

She smirked.

“A man of few words... just the type I crave” she purred.

I gave her a little smile.

“Her name's Gabriella James,” Travis said, showing the woman a photograph of her.

The woman tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and shook her head.

“Never seen this Gabriella person,” she said. “But you should ask Martha over there. She's been here longer than I have” she smiled at me.

“Thank you,” Travis said and walked away.

I nodded my appreciation at the woman and she winked at me before walking off. I followed Travis directly to the reception-like area where a big woman stood.

“You Martha?” Travis asked her when I got to his side.

The woman glanced at us.

“Who's asking?” she replied in a heavy tone.

Wow.

“Detective Freeman” Travis answered flashing her his badge. “We want to ask you a few questions.”