57 ✽

^^^Aubree

~Brie~

I sent another text to Riccardo as I pushed through the doors to my parent's house. I sighed and locked my phone.

“Mom?” I called out. “I'm here. What's the special dinner about?”

There was no reply.

“Mom?” I called out again. “Roman, you in here?”

I dropped my bag in the living room and made my way to the kitchen.

“Daddy? Are you guys in the backyard?”

I checked the backyard but there was no sign of either of them.

“Guys?! Manny, where are you? Mom? Daddy?” I called out as I walked back into the house. “If you're not home why leave the front door unlo—”

“Surprise!”

“Motherfu—” I stopped myself as they jumped out in front of me.

“You know, people don't usually cuss when they're excited to see their favorite people” she chuckled.

“Well, you're going to be my least favorite people if you scare me like that again” I stated, moving in for a hug. "It's so good to see you.”

“You too, little one” my brother teased.

“She's not that little, Em” Nia chuckled as we pulled away from the hug.

My brother playfully shrugged. I smiled at the two of them and clasped my hands together in excitement.

“Where are the two new angels?”

“With Mom” Emmett answered. “The rest went with Dad to go get froyos.”

“You let a sixty-four-year-old man go alone to get frozen yogurt with all five of his grandchildren?” I asked.

“Dad's a super dad. He can handle them” Emmett smiled.

“Wait, you're the ones Mom's special dinner is for?”

“Um... duh,” Nia rolled her eyes playfully with a smile. “The kids have their school shut down for a spider infestation, so we decided to come earlier than planned. We asked your mom not to say anything to you.”

“A spider infestation?”

“Mm hm. Black widows.”

Ew.

“So how long is the school going to be shut down?” I asked, rubbing my arms to rid them of the goosebumps that had broken out.

“Probably for the rest of the year,” Emmett answered. “It's already November so... early vacation.”

I smiled.

“Well, it's great to have you here earlier than planned.”

Nia smiled back.

“And you're glowing, Brie”

I shrugged playfully.

“Things are going well so of course I'll glow.”

“And by things are going well, you mean your secret admirer?” Emmett folded his arms at me.

“Mom told you?”

“Nope. We saw the cards that came with your roses.”

I chuckled.

“So, when do we get to meet him?” Nia grinned.