41 ✽

Month's earlier

~Aubree

I was late... very, very late. And yet I didn't notice. I scoffed with disgust.

Of course... but how would I with everything going on?

I sighed.

“No biggy” I muttered, rubbing my arms together.

I had irregular period flows sometimes. It was due to stress. And these past few weeks had been full of stress.

It had to be stress.

There was no way I was pregnant.

I was just overeating and these tests were going to give me the peace of mind I needed when it popped up with a big fat negative. Counting to five in my head, I glanced at the counter full of tests I'd covered with a towel.

Is there a tiny life force inside of me? I

My bedroom door opened and then flung shut.

“Okay what's so important that you made me leave work and drive all the way over here?” my best friend, Leslie, spoke as soon as he stepped in.

I rushed out of the bathroom to meet him.

“Great you're here. I was a second away from freaking out.”

“Why what happened?”

“Well...” I pointed at the closed bathroom door, “... I need you to look at something in there for me.”

He stared at the door and then swung his gaze to me, his brows furrowed.

“Aubree Isadora Nolan, I love you, but I'm sorry, I'm not going to look at your shit.”

I frowned.

“Ew, what? No!”

“Well, then what's in there?”

“Just come see.”

I pulled him with me and led him into the bathroom.

“Under the towel.”

I let him go and pointed to the counter. Long seconds dragged on as he just stared at it, then at me.

“Are you... trying weed?”

I smacked his arm.

“This is serious, Les!” I scolded. “Just look at it and tell me what it says, please.”

Again, he glanced between the towel and me.

“Okay hold up, is there something I'm missing?” he asked. “What's under there?”

“Pregnancy tests” I muttered, my pacing starting sooner than anticipated.

“Why the hell do you think you might be pregnant?”

“For starters, I just figured I'm weeks late.”

“Isn't that too fictitious for you to start peeing on multiple sticks? I mean...it's natural. You stress yourself a lot. And the recent incident with your sister's husband hasn't really been stress-free for your family.”