39 ✽

~Aiden~

Breanna's face fell.

“What do you mean she ran away?” she asked, swinging her leg.

The cardigan she wore slipped off one shoulder and fell down her arm, revealing her collarbone and a hint of her skin. I smiled.

“Aiden this is serious. Stop smiling” she scolded.

I blinked.

“I can't... you're just so beautiful” I muttered.

She cocked her head.

“Aiden stop. This is serious” she sighed exasperatedly.

I pursed my lips and shrugged.

“I don't know where she is, Breanna. I don't know.”

“You don't know?” she countered.

I shook my head.

“Have you...”

I nodded, causing her to stop short.

“Since the day Jewel died. I promised her I'd find our child” I met Breanna's eyes, “It's been ten years already.”

She inhaled audibly and lowered her eyes, wrapping her arms around herself.

“Your child would have been around Roman's age.”

Her voice quivered and my heart skipped.

No, no, no, no.

I took slow steps towards her.

“Breanna...”

“Aiden I'm so sorry” she let out, lifting her head, her eyes welled up with tears.

She'd stopped swinging her legs. She had stopped moving entirely. Her eyes were focused on me. They roamed my face, widened with grief, making me want to do something but take this as slowly as I was.

I hadn't come here in the hopes of doing anything except seeing her and talking to her. But now that she was here, so close, and so sad, how could I not?

“Why would she do that to you?” she asked, almost in a whisper. “I can't imagine what you must go through every day not knowing what your child looks like or what they sound like or what they're allergic to.”

“Breanna, stop it,” I said.

She sniffed and I couldn't stop myself from looking at her lips.

“Are you okay?” she asked, making me raise my eyes from her lips to her face.

“I don't know” I shrugged, involuntarily taking another step toward her. “I want to find her. I want to find my child but it's been ten years and not once has any information about her turned up. It's like the earth had swallowed them up whole.”

“How's that even possible?” she asked shaking her head.

“I'm not exactly sure” I fingered the edge of her cardigan, “But I haven't lost hope... not yet.”

She raised her hand and ran a finger along my jaw, making my breath hitch. I leaned in closer to her and her hand dropped from my jaw to my shirt.

“You shouldn't” she muttered.

“I'm sorry I made you cry” I whispered, running my fingers up her arm.

“Aiden... Aiden,” she said, softly, hurriedly, breathlessly, clutching my shirt in her delicate hands.