✽ 86

Richmond, Virginia

~Brie

I’d never hated the sight of blood before.

Not until now.

My heart dropped a little. It wasn’t like I’d expected it to happen right away. It didn’t the last time. But why did I feel so much more disappointed that it didn’t?

“Breanna?” Aiden’s voice called from outside the bathroom. “You okay, my love?”

I sniffled, wiping the tears that had dripped out of my eyes off my face.

Why am I crying?

Stop it, Brie. Get it together, my conscience quipped.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine” I called out, even though I was feeling anything but.

“Are you sure? Want me to get you anything before I leave?”

“No, no. Go on. You're going to be late.”

“Okay? I'll see you when I get back?”

“I'll get here,” I said with a miserable smile, very thankful for the closed door. “I love you.”

“I love you more.”

The bedroom door closed and I waited for about five minutes, then let the tears go again. I didn't even hear when Iris came into the room, calling my name, till she knocked on the bathroom door.

“Breanna? Are you taking a ski lesson in there? C'mon, we need your help with the art stuff. I'm a lawyer who can't draw to save her life.”

And I can?

You owe it to your kid to be, my conscience came again. Plus you're better at drawing than her.

“I'm coming.”

Quickly finishing up in the bathroom, I pulled my leggings back on, opened the door, and stepped out. She was holding up two dresses on a hanger.

“I know I said we needed help with his project work but I need help with this too. I have a date with Les tonight and...” she pressed one dress in front of her, “... everyday romance...” she pressed the other dress in front of her, “... or this one that says 'let's ditch dinner and get right to the sex part'. What do you think?”

“Oh,” I squeaked.

Her eyes finally moved to my face at my tone.

“Breanna...” she frowned, looking at my eyes, which I figured were probably red.

If they weren’t, that meant she could read me too well, and I didn’t want to consider that possibility.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing” I grinned, a bit too much because it made my eyes start throbbing.

She tossed the dresses on an armchair nearby and put her hands on her hips.

“I can do this all day, Brie. So I suggest you start talking.”

I sighed.

“I just...” I played with the ties on my shorts, trying not to look at her face. “I got my period.”

“Oh. Are you in pain? Get some rest, I can hold down the fort with Manny's project work. Don't worry.”

I shook my head.

“No, no. I'm fine. No period pain at all.”

Just the other type.

Her eyes narrowed at me and she folded her arms.