95 ✽

~Brie

My room was a mess.

There was tissue paper from the box that held my veil, empty champagne flutes, juice boxes, confetti all over the floor, and metallic chocolate wrappers lying around.

My vanity had an array of hairstyling supplies and makeup strewn across it, and trays with remnants of our pre-wedding snacks were on the table in the middle of the room.

“Uh-oh,” I said, hands on my hips. “We’ve been making a mess.”

“Don’t worry about that for a second” Nia pinned one of my curls back. “All you need to be concerned about right now is getting married.”

“Finally,” I said with a laugh.

“Oh I could cry,” Dove sighed. “Although we’re not doing that right now.”

“No, we are not,” Iris said.

Megan put her hands on her hips and looked me up and down.

“The dress isn't even on you and you already look absolutely stunning.”

“She really does,” Nia said, still fussing with my hair.

The four of them wore matching red bridesmaid dresses. Iris wore her hair up and had red fingernails to match. Nia’s hair was also pinned up and she’d found the most amazing red lipstick and Dove and Megan looked like they belonged in the front of a magazine cover.

“We should go get the dress now right?” Iris asked.

“Yeah. Breanna, you think you could say here alone while the rest of us go get the dress and brooms to tidy up this place a bit?” Nia asked.

“I'll be right here” I smiled.

The four of them filed out, passing Roman on their way. I smiled.

“How's my beautiful boy doing?” I opened my arms to him and he jumped up at me to hug me.

“Good. You look super pretty Mommy” he gushed.

“Really?” I asked, letting him go to kiss the top of his head and straighten his tie.

He nodded.

“Well, you're the most handsome little man I've ever seen in a tux.”

“Aiden helped me choose it.”

“He does have a good eye.”

“Yep. He did choose to marry my Mommy.”

I laughed.

“Have you seen Auntie Aubree?”

“When I woke up this morning. But she hasn't been in my room with the others. Why do you ask?”

He took a seat on my bed.

“Well, I saw her when I was coming up here and she looked a bit... sad.”

Oh?

“Mommy...” Roman chewed on his lip. “Do you think it's because Dad's been acting weird? And that's what's making her sad?”

The conversation about the divorce comes to mind and I sigh and sit beside my son.

“Maybe, Manny.”

He sighed.

“I don't like to see her sad, Mommy.”

“Me neither” I caressed his cheek. “Tell you what, why don't you go give her some of my chocolate huh? And maybe a rose?” I suggested, pointing to one of the many gift baskets packed in a corner of the room.