✽ 70

We hit 4K guys!
Double updates are definitely in order.
Enjoy!

~Brie

It had been days since I quit my job at Jewel Interactive and shut myself off from everyone but my sister. She made sure my family wouldn't hover around and I'd been ignoring Aiden's calls this entire time. I didn't feel great about it but... I just wasn't ready. And do you know who wasn't having any of this?

Roman.

He had finally been cleared by Doctor Khan to go back to school and he wasn't going to move an inch if I didn't take him.

I sighed and leaned against my brand-new car door as I waited for Roman outside my parent's house. If I went in, they wouldn't let me back out. And I wasn't ready to explain the sudden attitude change to any of them. The front door opened and Roman ran out.

“Mommy!”

“Hello my love” I managed a grin as he wrapped his arms around me.

I hugged him back. Dash let out a bark from the door and Emmett let go of his leash so he could come to me.

“Can he ride with us, Mommy?” Roman asked.

I smiled.

“Of course, my darling. Come on, let's go” I said and opened the door.

The two of them got in and I closed the door.

“We're going to need Dash back” Emmett called out to me. “We're taking him to the vet this afternoon.”

I nodded, his plain expression matching mine.

“Okay.”

Without another word, he angrily walked back into the house and slammed the door behind him. I sighed and rounded the car and got behind the wheel.

As we weaved through the early morning traffic, Roman curiously eyed me from the back seat.

“Where's your bag, Mommy?”

“Huh?”

“Don't you have work today? And how come you're wearing slippers instead of heels like you usually do?”

I sighed, a heavy weight pressing on my shoulders.

“Well, the truth is... I quit my job.”

“What? Why? I thought you liked your job.”

“I thought so too, baby. But I... I don't think that's the right job for me” I rubbed my neck. “And I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, my darling. I didn't want to make you sad right before your birthday.”

“Are we going to be okay? Like with money. I don't even want you to have a birthday party for me anymore, Mommy. It might be too expensive.”

I made a face at him through the rearview mirror.

“Ro, I don't want you worrying about our money okay? That's my job. Your job is to have a fantastic day at school today. And we'll be fine. I bought a new car, didn't I? So we're good, hmm?”

He chewed on his lip.

“Are you sure?”

I smiled.

“Of course I'm sure. And I am throwing you a fantastic birthday party okay? It's not every day my little darling turns ten.”

Roman smiled.

“Don't worry about anything you hear me?” I said firmly.

He nodded.

“But does that mean I won't get to see Aiden anymore?” he whispered.