✽ 16

~Brie~

Roman tugged my fingers and made a face.

“I know I said cottage mommy, but this is too small” he whispered the last part.

The real estate agent looked over at him and he hid behind my leg. I chuckled.

“Let's go inside at least, sweetheart. Okay?”

He nodded quietly, still hiding from the woman. She smiled at him.

“Well if he thinks it's too small, why waste time? Let's look at the other ones instead.”

I looked at Roman.

“Do you want to?” I asked.

“Let's look first.”

“Why, he's so sweet” the real estate agent cooed and gestured to him to go ahead.

He runs inside.

“Walk!” I scolded, but he was gone.

“Where's his father? Usually, the entire family goes house hunting” she asked as we followed Roman inside the house.

“Actually we're going house hunting to forget about his father so.”

“Oh. My apologies. I didn't mean to imply anything.”

“No, no it's fine” I chuckled.

“It must be hard.”

I exhale with a little shrug.

“Yes, but we're getting there.”

“Ow it must be awful” she whispered. “I can't imagine having to explain to my young son that his father is never going to wake up and read him bedtime stories any more.”

I watched the woman as she sighed heavily and then I let out a laugh. She paused at the entrance and furrowed her brows at me.

“Did I miss something?”

I smiled.

“I do the reading of the bedtime stories... and my son's father isn't dead. We're divorced.”

“Oh,” she let out embarrassed. “I am really, truly sorry. I thought he was dead.”

I chuckled.

“Trust me, it would be easier if he were.”

She gave me a sad smile and gestured for us to go in.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

“So how's it going?”

I sighed and adjusted Roman who was asleep in my arms.

“Terrible, Zach. It's going terrible.”

“Well, what does Roman think?”

I shifted my weight and peeped at his face.

“He's been asleep for close to three hours so yeah it's very helpful.”

“I can smell the sarcasm all the way from my office so I'm not going to ask any more questions.”

“He wants fountains, Zach, and pools. I can't do fountains and pools.”

“You make a lot of money from your job.”

“I need to feed and clothe my son”.

“Isn't that what the child support Beck's paying is for?”